unable to access 192.168.0.1 on one computer only

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by 1S1K_NIKORIAN, Mar 8, 2007.

1. 1S1K_NIKORIAN

1S1K_NIKORIAN Newbie

I have a home network system and its been flawless until today. For some reason which i have yet to discover I can not access my router thru 192.168.0.1 one one computer, but can access it thru any other computer (4 total) on my lan. I get http 400 bad request error.
    I have check for possible Hijacking nothing new on hijack this, I have check for spyware with AVG anti-spyware 7.5, full virus scan with AVG antivirus, cleaned all cookies, temp internet files, restored defaults to IE6 and then manually set security exactly as each other computer is set up. Nothing new has been added or changed except that Last evening I enabled 3 ports for AOE2 which I have since closed and changed the router password.
    What am I missing? The router is a netgear rt314 that has worked flawless and I have even tried changing ports and cables to give is the issued PC another internal IP, nothing has helped. Any Ideas:wall:

2. 1S1K_NIKORIAN

1S1K_NIKORIAN Newbie

oh and yes the computer can access the internet without issues, and even browse the shared files within the lan and vice versa.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Can you post your ipconfig information here?

Also, can your computer access the router if you switch to a different LAN port?

4. 1S1K_NIKORIAN

1S1K_NIKORIAN Newbie

ipconfig:

connection ...comcast.net
    ip address....192.168.0.3
    subnet mask...255.255.255.0
    defualt gateway...192.168.0.1

and no changing ports still does not allow access to the router. Like I said I can access it from any other computer. And despite the lack of being able to access the router there is full internet and LAN access (file and print sharing)

5. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. What do you get if you ping 192.168.0.1?

6. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

Is the IP a static or a DHCP assigned one? If DHCP try ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew in the Windows CMD window. If that doesn't work try setting a static IP instead

7. 1S1K_NIKORIAN

1S1K_NIKORIAN Newbie

if I put the 192.168.0.1 in the browser then i get "the page cannot be displayed" with HTTP 400 bad request error.

The connection is dhcp as comcast does not provide a static IP.

8. 1S1K_NIKORIAN

1S1K_NIKORIAN Newbie

I tried ipconfig /release and then renew but still having the issue. The internet connection on that computer works perfectly except for the router IP. Its the only page that cannot be displayed.

Now according to microsoft its a syntax error but it does not state how to repair it.

9. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Could it be a browser cache issue?? :think:

Have you tried using a different browser to load the router config page? Like Firefox for example?

10. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

How you set up your internal IPs has nothing to do with
    your ISP (only router-setup matters in that case).
    I'd turn off DHCP in the router and set static IPs
    for the four PCs.

11. 1S1K_NIKORIAN

1S1K_NIKORIAN Newbie

turned off dhcp and manually assigned each LAN computer a IP but still unable ot access the router from just the one computer. All others see if fine and can access or edit. I have checked each and every settings for all the desktops and compared it to the ailing computer all settings are identical except for the internal ip's and computer names. I am stumped. I even uninstalled IE6 and reinstalled it but still have the same problem...

12. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Static IP wasn't mentioned as solution for your problem
    but as something you should do/set anyway.

;) ^^

So, like Adrian already said, what 'bout ping
    192.168.0.1 from this one PC?

13. 1S1K_NIKORIAN

1S1K_NIKORIAN Newbie

I( can ping the IP address just fine. It just will not display in the browser. This does not make sense that it would effect only the router IP. I have noticed that my Packets sent are
    in the trillions but the recieved are in the thousands. If this is correct then I am sending out data at nearly all times and that should not be the case.

14. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. When you ping the IP address, what exactly did you get? Can you post it here?

15. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

One more question, which browser are you using to access your router? I know sometimes Mozilla has a problem accessing Netgear routers