Unable to boot from cdrom

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by karhoe, Dec 7, 2006.

1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I'm using Acer Travelmate 290e laptop. Recently, the OS went haywire so I decided to reinstall windows xp. I pop in the recovery disc, went to BIOS setup and configured the boot sequence. However, it did not boot from CD, and went to the 2nd boot sequence which is the HDD. I even tried other Window XP disc and I am still unable to boot from CDROM, is there any solution available ?

FYI, the CDROM drive is swappable. And the stupid BIOS is so basic, you don't get to configure the IDE devices and hence you don't know what IDE devices are connected. The XP disc and the drive is working perfectly. I am able to view the contents of the disc in Windows.

During the POST screen, which is less than 1 second, I manage to see that only 1 IDE device is detected which is the HDD and the CDROM is not detected. It could be that reason that I am unable to boot, so what can I do?

I looked in Acer website for latest bios, and to my horror, the BIOS files are removed from their server, and they even have a section in support page which is under construction with a "coming soon" label.

Hope you guys can help me out , thanks.

Thanks

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Would it be possible for you to get screenshots of the BIOS screens? Especially those pertaining to the boot / setup features.

Also, while you are in the BIOS, check and see if you have this BIOS option - Delay IDE Initial. You can use it to delay the boot-up process so that your notebook can detect the CD-ROM.

More details here - http://www.techarp.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?lang=0&bogno=56

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I just saw in the BIOS screen that ATAPI isnt detected !!!

There isn't any delay IDE initial, I will upload the pics later on

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. So, you cannot even manually detect the CD-ROM in the BIOS? :think:

5. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Nop, I cannot detect it in the BIOS

6. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

I think some laptop have their images on the HD and won't let you boot from the CDROM. Sometimes the system has a key, like ESC or F10 or something which youc na press to choose which boot device to boot from, did you check that?

7. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Do u mind if I suggest u to look at the back cover of ur lappy.There should be 1 or 2 screws right beneath ur Optical Drive.If it's possible,unscrew the screw/screws from the lappy.U'll be able to drag ur optical drive from the sidebay.Now just slide the optical drive to the bay again .U'll know that the drive will be clicked to the IDE socket of ur lappy.Just watch the orientation.Now try booting & see if Bios is detecting it.If not,then it's an IDE I/O Controller error which u'll need to sort out with ur vendor or the lappy manufacturer.

8. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Mine is swappable, no need for screw, just slide a button and drag it out, I have tried that, no result

Yes, I press that, F10, then came a menu where I choose which device to boot from, chose CD, but it acts as if no media was inserted.

Now that the problem is ATAPI is not detected in BIOS so that is why I cannot boot in windows

9. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

As I've told u earlier,then it's an IDE I/O Controller error which u'll need to sort out with ur vendor or the lappy manufacturer.

10. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Ok thanks, right now I just need to find someone who has a swappable CDROM to test whether is it my CDROM which is faulty