updates

Discussion in 'General Software' started by redsierra, Apr 28, 2011.

1. redsierra

redsierra Newbie

Hi, my XP Pro is set on auto updates.
    Lately while going through the Control Panel, I noticed that Windows and Internet Explorer updates (security & hotfix)are listed in the Add/Remove section. On the other PC which has an XP Home this is not the case.
    Anyone has any idea why this is happening. Also if I remove them from the Add/Remove section would that mean that my PC loses all updates or are they installed somewhere else?
    Tks a lot for your help.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I think it just means you can roll back the changes. Probably from Restore Points. But why would you want to remove them? They are updates.

3. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Many of the hotfixes create backup files of the files that are going to be overwritten and places them in a hidden subdirectory of the windows directory.

using the add/remove option will cause windows to copy the old files (pre patch) over the patched files.

4. redsierra

redsierra Newbie

re updates

Reason I asked if they can be removed from the control panel add/remove section cause it's the first time I seen them in the control panel were before these were hidden from view. I was wondering whether they were installed twice (in their proper folder and in control panel).
    I normally have the control panel for add/remove software and not for updates!
    tks to all.

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

In Windows XP, Add/Remove Programs section, there should be a checkbox at the top to hide the updates right? :D