Using 2 diff pairs of RAM with different timing

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by karhoe, Sep 18, 2009.

1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Hi guys,

Sure you guys know why I'm asking this, haha.

I should be receiving my OCZ PC2-8000 soon, it's really nice to have it since I plan to upgrade to 64bit soon.

But currently I am having 2 x Team Elite Value RAM (2GB) with timing of 5-5-5-15.

This OCZ RAM, as I understand has 4-4-4-15. Would both these RAMS work together?

I did read the review on this RAM and I think I read somewhere that this RAM cannot be clocked to 5-5-5-15, so would it work LOL

Cheers

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I went to read the TechARP review
    Tech ARP - OCZ PC2-8000 Titanium Alpha VX2 DDR2 Memory Kit Review

It seems like the default timing of the chip itself is 5-5-5-15 at 200mhz, but OCZ overclocked this chip by default.

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Oh ! Now I get it, alright, so when I pair this with my existing RAM, would the performance of this RAM be throttled?

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

If i'm not wrong, if you are running core2, you should not see much difference. Have to ask the sifu in the forum.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

It won't make much of a difference. But if you leave it at Auto, the motherboard will use the SLOWEST common timings - which would be 5-5-5-15.

You can try manually forcing the motherboard to use 4-4-4-15 but if your Team Elite Value RAM cannot take it, you will experience instability, crashes, etc.

6. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Is 4-4-4-15 something 'achievable' for a Value RAM? Mine is not really a Value RAM, it's Team Elite RAM, I heard it is slightly overclockable lol

7. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

8. Adrian Wong

Well, it's hard to know for sure. The only way is to TRY! :D

9. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

HAHA, given how busy I am nowadays, I guess I will hope that the Performance RAM 'performance' can be downgraded to that of a Value RAM LOL - 5-5-5-15

After my exams, then I will try to OC them

10. Adrian Wong

Don't worry. "Downgrades" are always possible. The performance RAM will have no problem running at 5-5-5-15. :beer: