Vista requested SATA / IDE driver

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by goldfries, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

Hi guys,

I just jumped into Vista bandwagon and so far it's a nightmare over certain matters.

Now the thing is this, I installed Vista on a new SATA drive - all things worked fine.

I plugged in a SATA drive and it was fine, detected and I could browse the content but Vista (SP1 btw) kept asking me for the drivers and I said NO NO NO.

Fine, everything went on well.

The next time I placed that same SATA drive into the same slot - nope, no chance to access it. Detected on BIOS and everything, I just can't access it.

After fiddling around with some settings and changing port, I manage to access it again ........... and it still keeps bugging me for drivers. :)

Both drives are from Seagate. 320GB and 250GB respectively. I just can't understand why the OS residing drive would work fine but it kept bugging me for the other SATA driver.

:nuts:

So now, have you guys face this? What was the solution?

I'm tired of Googling and browsing for information. The mobo driver CD doesn't seem to have any driver for SATA, I don't think it needs it since primary HDD worked fine. Seagate website doesn't say much, AFAIK SATA is plug and play....... it could read my drive fine, why need another driver?

IIRC it even asked for drivers when I plugged in my IDE drive. :nuts: :nuts:

So again - have you guys face this? What was the solution?

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

HMM!

Thats odd. :think:

What is on that hard drive? Just data or is there another OS on it?

I have done some plug and play with Vista and I didn't have that issue. :think:

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Huh? Now... this is the first. Normally it detects as soon as I plug it in (for AHCI and RAID), for IDE has to restart though. Hmm... any new clues in the Disk Management area? :D

4. goldfries

I'm actually confused.

First it tells me it refuses to detect, hence me starting this thread.

After I posted this thread, the add-on SATA drive appears on the Device Manager along with the OS-residing SATA drive.

:nuts:

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Then if next time something's wrong. Create a thread here. :dance:

6. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

thats weird o_O..it happening to you on the new amd platform? what mobo is that are you using o_o?

7. goldfries

ASUS M3A78 Pro.

anyway, now i have a greater problem.

Windows both Vista and XP refuses to be installed on my usual P35 setup + E7200 (new proc la) and my usual HDD and PSU.

ahhh............ whole night trouble-shooting. Vista just loads to full bar and stops at BSOD. XP, goes through the installation setup but stops at checking the HDD part.

oh well, I'll leave that for other story. now, back to the lab.

8. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

maybe change your SATA mode so something else :think: in BIOS

9. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hmm... good idea zy. :think: What's the mode now?

10. goldfries

erm. nah. i saw the AHCI and whatever stuff, decided it stays as IDE.

anyway solved the BSOD shit that i face - by just removing 1 stick of RAM. after that, put the RAM back and it's as if nothing ever happened. :nuts:

the past 3 days was a horrible start with Vista.

11. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

So it's ram issue o_O? Or the mobo has the ram >_>"

12. goldfries

I have no freakin' idea really.

It took away my sleep. I'm a zombie now and my biological clock has somewhat gone awry.

Regardless whether it's RAM or BOARD problem, if there really was a problem - then why does it work normal again when I put it back? :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

Anyway, sorry for this thread. My experience with Vista is :wall:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.