Vista...WTF?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Motoman, Jan 15, 2009.

1. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

My point exactly!

2. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I think I'll wait for Windows 7 start menu search. It's much better. Can search almost everything on the system including tasks in Control Panel.

Now with both Vista and XP, I still depend on All Programs. The only time I use the search bar is for ermm... regedit and cmd (Ctrl+Shift if UAC is enabled)? :mrgreen:

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I used to rearrange my All Programs folders in Windows 95/98/XP to help me access my programs quickly. But in Windows Vista, I don't even bother. I just click on Start and type a few letters, and there it is! :)

The only gripe I have with Windows Vista right now is the inability to "retrieve" allocated memory and force applications to use more system memory instead of paging memory.

Mainly the fault of bad application programming I suppose but even if I restart apps like Maxthon and Outlook, only part of the paging file and system memory used is relinquished. So it gets real slow after several weeks of use. I have to restart my system once in several weeks to get things back to "normal".

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I don't really have money to get 8GB now, but the reason why I disabled indexing is because I use Capture NX 2 + Photoshop CS4 far far more than I search for programs in a start menu.

That's why I value every single drop of memory. And it's hitting 4GB limit very easily.

Obviously I have my reasons for doing that. I'm not a noob. I don't search things, because I organise my data very well. :p

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I organize my data VERY well (super anal haha). I just think that search is way faster for programs. I don't use it to access my files since most of it is on the WHS anyways.

Its way better than digging through menus really. (except for the ones pinned or the ones i quicklauch, etc). I start to type 'comp' and computer management shows up on the results. I type in 'sys' and system configuration is already up in the result. 'Rem' and remote desktop is already above. Near instant results for me.

6. Chai

I almost never needed to use All Programs because it's either in the quick launch, most recently used, or I just simply double click on the file to launch the default program, or just right click on the file and choose the program. No need to search. :p

More memory saved. :p Just because you have a big fuel tank and money, doesn't mean you have to waste it. :p

7. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

XP, usually I use the pinned or by typing on the run, after I properly make the shortcut.

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

that's total pwnage..

but still, because we can! yes we cannnnnnnnn :haha: :haha:

kidding aside, i organize my data pretty neatly as well, but I still prefer to search from the start menu. can grab anything as I think. heck, i even google and wiki search from my start menu!

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Actually.... Flawed analogy because RAM is a one time sunk cost.... :p You don't have to refill it all the time and it is a constant (unlike money which is a variable). Wasting in this case would be leaving it to be idle and underutilized for 80% of the time.

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

not when the capacity is shrinking (dying) :p :shifty: :shifty: Micron D9 :whistle:

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Hahaha! I have been through quite a few D9s (~6 sets - RMA'd my 2 kits twice and gave up). :cry:

So much that I have totally given up on RMAing them and now using some nice 2x2gb sticks.

But that is a different matter. :mrgreen:

12. Chai

Then change it to engine capacity instead of fuel tank. Just because you have the POWAR doesn't mean you have to go full throttle all the time.

13. Chai

I didn't say you can't, and it also doesn't mean I can't either. We all have the choices, and I chose what I chose, and I'm very happy with it.

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

You don't but man does it feel good... :mrgreen:

15. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

BECAUSE WE CAN!!!! <3

16. Chai

I rather save the capacity to flex the muscle rather than flexing it all the time and you get bored in the end. :p

17. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Well, the "Program Search" and "Indexing" is flexible, and I like using it too...

Man, I still need those engineering programs, can't be sure whether Vista could support them or not! :haha:

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Actually, it is the other way around. I only get bored when I use/drive something without the muscle/capacity... :wicked:

Never got bored gassing it (its more of a rush). (holds true for both cars and PCs - and I have a fair share of both). :mrgreen:

19. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

you are missing alot of 'fun' my man!

20. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

LOL. I wonder what Vista has to do with cars. LOL. OT!!! BTW, which version of Photoshop are you using chai? AFAIK, only CS4 has 64-bit version and I'm not sure if Nikon Capture NX is 64-bit. Sure it'll run on 32-bit no problem. Not sure if it even matters.

But my experience on Photoshop leads me to feel that CS4 (64-bit for me since I'm on V-64) is much more stable and better when loading those 12mp files. even leaving 4-5 files open. CS3 and CS2 was SLLOOOoooowooooooooW everytime I did it. And CS3's stability on Vista (64) was questionable. I hardly use Capture NX, so I can't comment there. I prefer using Lightroom 2 or Photoshop RAW plugin to process my NEFs (preferred workflow)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009