Want to upgrade, but not for much.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by 1031982, Jun 17, 2012.

1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I currently have a ATI HD 4850. For the most part, it's perfect.
    As of late, I have been looking into getting a Blu-Ray drive for my PC, however after running a compatibility test I noticed that I won't be able to use all the features. Specifically hardware dual video decoding.
    I actually use the features on DVD's, and would like to be able to use them on Blu-Ray before getting a drive.

As such, what would be the best rout to go in terms of not losing any game performance, but getting the dual hardware decoding from a quiet card as cheap as possible?

Just as a FYI, I'm running Windows 7 PRO 64-bit and plan on getting either an ASUS or Lite-On drive.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Do you NEED dual-video decoding???

If I remember correctly, that's to support decoding of two simultaneous full HD videos for Picture in Picture display. Most people will never use such a feature... :think:

3. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

As I said, I actually will use the features provided. As such, I will end up needing the dual decoding.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I don't think even Cyberlink can tell you whether your card supports it.

CyberLink Blu-ray Disc Support

But I believe all modern cards should be capable, AMD 6800 seires and Nvidia 500 series. Don't quote me on that though!

5. Adrian Wong

6. Adrian Wong

For AMD cards, you will want a card that supports UVD 2.2 or better if you want full hardware acceleration of dual video decoding.

From Unified Video Decoder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it looks like your Radeon HD 4850 supports UVD 2, which is kinda ironic since the lower-end 4300-4700 series support UVD 2.2.

UVD 2 supports dual-video decoding, but probably not full support (some done by the CPU). Maybe that's why it didn't pass the test.

I'm not really sure if you should buy a new graphics card just for dual-video decoding. The Radeon HD 4850 appears to be capable of at least perform full hardware decoding of the primary Blu-ray video stream and probably partial hardware decoding of the secondary video stream. The CPU should have no problem handling the other aspects of decoding the secondary video stream.

7. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Well, I can give it a shot when I get the drive. The only other issue I have is what software to get. Most likely, I'm going to be getting an OEM drive, so I have to choose between Cyberlink and WinDVD. Obviously being a software issue, I don't want to get into it here.
    In addition, they both offer free trials, so I will most likely go from that.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  8. Adrian Wong

I'm pretty sure your system should be able to do it. The only issue probably is how high is the CPU usage when you do it. Do let us know how it turns out when you get to try it out. I'm personally quite interested to know how it turns out.

9. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Can and will, however I also want to upgrade my PC, so I'll be saving for a while to get either an i3 or i5 CPU. I need to get a new board and RAM as well, and I might be able to save about $50 a month. Better believe it will take time, and that's why I'm thinking of getting an i3 and later an i7.

10. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

You might want to look into some other brand of drive. I have had both of those brands fail on me repeatedly.:doh:

Just saying...;)

11. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

really? I know Asus can be a little flakey, but I have had lite-on's last for a good few years.
    I also run two drives in my PC. One for burning and the other for reading.
    In any case, what would you suggest? I have a limit of $75 at the most. I want something that will be quiet when playing movies and hopefully data as well.
    I have been suggested the Lite-on iHBS112.
    I also already have software to play blu-ray's, so OEM is fine, and basicly prefered.

12. Trinity

I don't know what else to say. I got about 2 years each on all my lite-on's then they just stopped reading disk's properly.:doh:

Switch to Asus, same problem...:wall:

:boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

13. Trinity

I do watch alot of DVD's though.:think:

Maybe all those Lord of the rings and Harry Potter and Starwars marathons killed them...:lol:

14. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I ended up getting a LiteOn IHBS112-04. It's a Blu-Ray Burner, though I don't think I'll be doing much if any burning with the drive. I only needed a reader, and this one fit the bill as well as good reviews.
    I have played 3 Blu-Rays, and loaded 5 to menu. I tested one I have not seen yet with PIP, and it worked without an issue. Assuming that the PIP was encoded at 1080P, I am good to go and thank you for input.
    If I run into a movie that I can't play PNP, I'll be sure to update here.

15. Adrian Wong

Glad it worked fine! :D