Want to utterly destroy the data on your HDD? Use UPS!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Olle P, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

With UPS I don't mean "Uninterrupted Power Supply", but "United Parcel Service" (or any other parcel transporter, for that sake).

Put the harddrive in an unpadded box or envelope and send it across the continent. When it arrives at the destination you can be pretty sure that any data previously stored on the drive (as well as the drive itself) is FUBAR. :thumb:

Source: PCMag article: Hard Drive Healers.

Cheers
    Olle

2. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I don't believe that for a second. The data can still be pulled off it! You have to either really piss off the government or have a lot of money, but it's possible! Now, if you really want to trash a hard drive, get an ultra-high powered magnet Take the drive apart and place the platters right buy the magnet with it turned on!:twisted:

3. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

just run a sharp metal object (e.g. screwdriver) over the platter.. :whistle:

4. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

price of the data.. depend on what data is lost.. if it a bunch of mp3 file, i bet it worth to buy a new hdd..

5. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

But it's possible. Also, scratching the platter won't help as much as you think. It's possible to have almost 35% recovery of data from burned platters alone. (I could be wrong on the percentage, but I know that it's VERY possible.)

6. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

If you want your computer up and running you'll need to buy a new HDD anyway, since the recovery process usually destroy the old one.
    What data? Hefty shakes and shocks realign the magnetic particles on the surface, demagnetizing it, which effectively remove any data that used to be there.
    To some extent it's even more efficient than running it through a strong magnet since a magnet that's only almost strong enough will align most particles in one direction and any deviations from that is stored data that can be retreived.

Cheers
    Olle

7. Womb-Raider

Womb-Raider Newbie

well on my last machine i kept near the window in the living room, both the hard drives in there were completely an unterlly de-polerised when i finally gave in to a nagging wife about putting some curtain tie-back hooks into the wall , i drilled the hole placed the drill to rest on the pc case while i screwed the hook in - in a nutshell worst day of her life mine wasnt too bright either....lmao!

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, data can still be pulled from the platters. Shock will kill the hard drive but not the data on the platters.

In fact, even if you overwrite the platters, you can STILL retrieve the overwritten data. Of course, it isn't easy. :mrgreen:

9. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

if we format the disk, is it possible to retrieve the data?..

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yes. :mrgreen:

11. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

I just go by the article:
    So far everything should still be readable, once the electronics and mechanics have been fixed, but...
    So too many individual bits had been scrambled beyond recognition.
    As they sum it up:
    Thus, the data is gone!

/Olle

12. Womb-Raider

Womb-Raider Newbie

Well then just take it out and give it a good hammering! when you think youve done enough damage KILL IT AGAIN!!!!!

or seperate the platters and send em to a burial at sea...

That ought to do it.....(lol)

13. Womb-Raider

Womb-Raider Newbie

Ironic considering the laptop drive was designed to be mobile!

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

lol UPS can destroy ur hdd too judging by how some of my received UPS shipped packages arrive...:lol:

15. luqman

luqman Newbie

there is this special dusting proccess i dunno what it is called but u litterly dust off the 0's and 1's pretty expensive i heard;) i'll find an article on that:think:

16. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Hard drive platter + Bottle of Draino(Sodium hydroxide) = no more data :mrgreen:

17. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

harddrive + sledge hammer + one bad day at work = no more data

harddrive + explosives = no more data....

how hard (and fun) is that??

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

19. Magicky

Magicky Newbie

And to further quote...
    "BBspot Labs does recommend not trying this at home, unless you have completely embedded computer components in a block of ice before."

Best laugh I've had in a while....

20. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

LMAO! The best way to remove evidence!