Want to utterly destroy the data on your HDD? Use UPS!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Olle P, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I suspect it could also be due to the scanning that packages go through when they are delivered by mail.

That's why I would never check it any hard drives when I fly. I could be wrong, but it's likely that x-ray and other scanners used on cargo could potentially erase data stored in magnetic media. :think:

The thing about magnetic data is that you actually need a magnetic field to change the polarity of the data. Unless the drive is subjected to some kind of energy emission, I don't see how the polarity of each bit can change. :think:

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

my hard disk went through those small scanner couple of times.. no problem so far :think: nvr check in my hard disk before :think:

3. Adrian Wong

You mean the scanners you pass before you board the plane? Those are okay. I think the ones we should worry about are those used to scan cargo.

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Hmm, but that wouldnt make too much sense. Homeland scans all packages in and out of the country... Why haven't those hdds died then?:think:

5. Adrian Wong

Well, most hard drives shipped are empty of data. Not only unformatted, they are also unpartitioned.

I don't think anyone would have sent a hard drive filled with data via cargo. :think:

6. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

I dunno about that. Magnets can be jarred hard enough to demagnetise them (that's why you're not supposed to drop or strike permanent magnets), and heating some materials can alter their magnetic properties as well. Besides, those of us who have had to suffer UPS shipments know very well just how destructive they can be :).

My idea for completely trashing a drive involves a pile of thermite :p. Believe me, unless you have access to a time machine you're not gonna recover a drive that's been cooked that way!

7. Adrian Wong

LOL!! Thermite will kill EVERYTHING. :haha: :haha:

8. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

thermites ? hmmm ... my friend said his hard disk got invaded by some ants :shifty: but i he didnt show me or whatever.. i guess it is fine now :shifty:

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Thermite... NOT termites... LOL!:haha:

Thermite is used in incendiary bombs/nades. used to completely destroy hardware/armor/anything...

10. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Very true. Been there, done that...

/Olle