[Wanted] Best Performance Setting for <<Dungeon Siege 2>>

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by juderiverman, Jul 17, 2006.

1. juderiverman

juderiverman Newbie

I am playing <<Dungeon Siege 2>> currently, but the laptop seems a little outdated for this game. I do wish a small change will improve the performance of the game, such as video card driver, d3d setting, etc.

Here is the configuration of my laptop:
    CPU: P4 1.7 G
    Video Card: ATI M7 (16M independent memory for video)
    Memory: 256M

Video Driver: Omega Driver for ATI

Thanks in advance for any thought...

2. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

There really isn't anything much you can do unless you upgrade the hardwares :mrgreen:

The easiest way is to lower the resolution and graphical details in the game. This should give you some significant performance boost. As for your video card driver, just install the latest version available to date. However, don't expect some really huge performance increase or any performance increase at all.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You can always try overclocking the ATI graphics chip... :think:

4. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

VERY limited. :) it's not like you could do much to gain performance.

as what max mentioned, lower your resolution. then tweak around with the details.

get the best reso vs detail ratio that please your eye.

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Notebook GPUs are really hard to overclock, especially when the cooling is so limited. I doubt it is going to help much.

@juderiverman: your system is very close to this game's system requirements. I guess the best way is to set the resolution and details the lowest possible, then start enabling/increasing the graphical details and see how much it affects the performance. Play around with it until you find the settings that suits you best. I think you should keep the resolution at the lowest possible settings, since the memory buffer on your ATI M7 is very limited.

6. Adrian Wong

Haha.. So true. My notebook just SHUT DOWN that day when I played DotA without a notebook cooler. :nuts:

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

:shock: .... is it overclocked?

8. Adrian Wong

Actually, yes... The GPU was.. Hehehe... That's why the CPU temp shot up to over 90oC. :mrgreen:

9. juderiverman

juderiverman Newbie

Thanks you all, guys.

Right now I am reading the "ATI Catalyst Tweak Guide", which seems exactly what I want. Hope there comes an improvement.