Washed out colours on LCD screen?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by The_YongGrand, Apr 2, 2012.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Hey there,

My SyncMaster 732N, after 4-5 years of usage has now shown colours which are slightly "washed" out. It doesn't look anymore bright or crisp back on the first/second year I bought it, no matter how much I upped or adjusted the brightness and contrast.

I even changed the refresh rate, and it looked the same.

Are those LCDs on long usage causes the colours to fade? Like clothings with repeated washings? :)

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I have other issues with my old LCD. It started 'bubbling'. Time to get a new one if you can't tolerate anymore. :mrgreen:

3. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Sounds like the backlight has dimmed and shifted to a more yellowish tint all of which is normal. As Chai said might be time for a new one.

4. The_YongGrand

The LCD screen bubbled? How could that happen?:think:

5. Chai

This is how it looks like. Now it's far worse, almost 2/3 of the screen is 'infected'.

Attached Files:

6. The_YongGrand

That exactly happened to the old 2003 Sony Vaio my cousin gave me. Unfortunately, it leaked even more of that sharp smelling stuff, and I had to tear out the screen while holding my breath. What causes that to happen? :think:

And that's LA Noire on the screen. :)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  7. Chai

Good eyes...haha...

8. The_YongGrand

Cole Phelps before he gets promoted too. :whistle:

Btw, I might be investing on a new LCD afterwards. The current Samsung monitor I have is with the 700:1 contrast.

Is having a 10000:1 contrast improves the viewing comfort? Or it is just extra glare?

9. Chai

Contrast ratio is basically about how pure is the black, and how bright is the white. Meaning you get the darkest shade of black possible, and the brightest white on the same time without adjusting anything.

That is the contrast ratio. It should not help your viewing comfort and glare.

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I guess your CCFL backlight is giving out already although my Dell 2007FP is still running strong after 5 years of non-stop use. Generally, CCFL backlights will not last as long as LED backlights. Time to upgrade! :thumb:

11. The_YongGrand

I'll check around for LED screens later. I may need a slightly bigger one than the 17" if I need to upgrade. :)

12. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LED monitors are quite cheap these days. You can go for a 23-24" monitor! :D