Water cooling dual Athlon MP 2000+ step by step

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by itld, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Have to admit that the mod is not really clean, but the most important thing is it does the job! :) That's a really nice place for mounting the radiator.

2. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

wow, that's great for a 1st timer!!!

i've never done it cos i don't know what to use to cut the case. but i refuse to cut my case!!!

3. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

hmm i do agree with chai... that's such a nice place to place the radiator! not a bad mod at all!!!

4. itld

itld Newbie

howdy,
    due to an interesting turn of events, an error on AMD's part a mistake on my part and just all around first class customer service...
    i found out today that AMD accepted my second processor on an RMA and shipped a new one yesterdy.
    [rant]
    so for those of you that have reservation about what kind of outfit AMD is this may change your mind.
    i described exactly what had happened to both processors, basically admitting fault and they graciously replaced both.
    this, i asume is twice what Intel would do in the same situation.
    SO along with excellent performance and quality products they also have very good customer supporrt after the sale.
    IMHO
    [/rant]

M.R.

5. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Guys. Besides DD maze 3, what other models can we get in KL?
    Okay. I'm of getting a water cooling setup maybe in a month or 2 time. Spending RM600+ on a cooling system is a pretty tough decision and I want it to be able to work for atleast 2-3 years. If the pump stops working, I can replace it with a new one..no big deal..but if the AMD board makers decide not to implement the mounting holes on hammer board, I will be dead man. Please don't ask me to switch to INTEL. :lol: I'm not going to spend RM600+ on a water cooling system that is only able to work on my tbredB setup and not my next CPU upgrade in 1-2 year time (because there isn't any holes for me to mount my waterblock!). They might come out with clipping stuff. But I just "bbq'ed" my old good tbird because the stupid clip broke my plastic socket lug off. I don't trust the retention clip anymore. So should I or shouldn't I?

*would like some radiotor guidances here :)

6. itld

itld Newbie

howdy,
    i was pretty impressed with the way the clips on the swiftech blocks worked, i had to loosen the screws to instead of tighten them, the blocks had built in springs that seem to be tight enough to hold the blobks firmly in place but loose enough that (with a small bit of effort) they can moved around a little bit.
    i personally was a bit nervous about the types that mounted to the MB because of the pressure placed on the board itself.
    my only experience is with Swiftech and i would have no problem recomending them.

M.R.

7. goldfries

i never trusted them, but they never seem to break on my case. some HSF are just too hard to mount and take forever (and not forgetting to mention - brute strength + 4 arms) just to unmount.

heck i'm just so paranoid of the retention mounts breaking, cpu cracking and mobo breaking.

btw, your SLK800 came with only 1-point clipping mechanism?

IMHO, it's always best to get HSF with 3-point clips. the pressure will be shared out by 6 clip-points instead of 2.

8. Chai

Swiftech block has the best compatibility, it will work on both AMD and Intel platform. Unfortunately, it will not support the new Hammer series, since they are introducing a new heatsink mounting system.

9. goldfries

btw Zue, Aquarius II systems are available in KL now.

10. Chai

Aquarius II is a POS, to be honest.

11. goldfries

what's a POS?

here's what i got from OP Multimedia

===========
    Here are the ones available as at 15/3/03 :-

Xaser II 5000A - RM398
    Xaser II 6000A - RM598
    Xaser III V1000+ - RM588
    Xaser III V1000C - RM598
    Xaser III V2000+ - RM788

Aquarius II w/case A6000E - RM1099
    Aquarius II w/case A5000F - RM999
    ===========

12. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Aquarius II is a POS
    Piece Of Shit
    it's UGLY
    the pump is weak.
    thermaltake products are POS

13. goldfries

ok. well.......you asked for what else is available in KL. hehe.

are you referring to just the AQII or the rest of the TT products in general?

14. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Ahhh k cool :) Does it available here? I mean the swiftech waterblock.

Oh NO!
    ermm decision..decision..

Goldfries: ALL thermaltake products.

15. goldfries

LOL. i like the Xaser II and III casings.

and their Volcano 7, 9 and 11 HSF looks nice.

16. Chai

Yeah! POS! :D

17. itld

itld Newbie

howdy,
    update,
    i changed my case fan arrangment a bit and got some pretty good results.
    i had 2 case fans blowing out of the back of the case, one located above the PSU ansd the other just above the graphics card.
    now i have turned the lower fan around to be blowing into the case and added a variabe speed case fan at the front of the case near the radiator also blowing in. i also added a small CPU sized fan blowing in the area of the north bridge and ram.
    now my temps are CPU0 - 44 and CPU1 - 47 thats a decrease of about 7c on each proc.
    i imagine part of the change is due to air movement around the temp sensors.

M.R.

18. Chai

Personally, I think the fan above the graphics card should blow into the case. Now your case is pretty unbalanced, too many exhaust fans, too little intake fans.

19. itld

itld Newbie

howdy,
    it seems i was not very clear, right now i have 2 fans blowing into the case 1 is locates at the back of the case just above the GPU and 1 is located at the front of the case near the radiator
    i have 3 fans blowing out of the case, 1 regular case fan and the 2 120mm fans on the radiator.
    this of course does not include the power supply fans both of which are blowing out.

M.R.

20. Chai

Oh, now it sounds a lot clearer. Sounds like a good configuration.