Way to back-up Buffalo linkstation (NAS)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cman, Jun 19, 2009.

1. cman

cman Newbie

Hey.
    My Buffalo Linkstation recently died. however i had all the data backed up.
    The replacement should be here shortly.

I used to connect an external hard drive to my Pc. and manual copy the folders from the NAS to the external.

Im looking for an automatic system.. or something easy than that. i know an external drive can be connected directly to the NAS and configured to back-up, but I've herd this is very slow.

What do you guys think??

Does anyone back up using a external drive connected directly to the unit???

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I think connecting the external hard drive to the NAS will be much faster than going through your PC, especially if both the NAS and the external HDD support faster connectivity options like Firewire or eSATA.

3. cman

cman Newbie

Its only usb 2.0.. but yeh in theory should be quicker.

Also does the Format make a difference?

It says in the manual for best results use the EXT3 file formatt. But what could i use to formatt to that? And also would that be able to open on windows?

Or should i just stick to FAT32 or NTFS for the back up external drive.

4. Adrian Wong

If you are not using older Windows operating systems, I would suggest NTFS. FAT32 if you need to use Windows 98 or older.

5. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

FAT32 would be compatible across MAC and windows. If you want both of them to recognize the drive. However, FAT32 got limit 4GB of large single file.

Try MyBookWorld, gigabit ethernet that comes with automatic incremental backup software.

6. Adrian Wong

Yeah, the 4GB limit might be a problem for large videos...