WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB seems slow...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by graysky, Mar 28, 2009.

1. graysky

graysky ARP Reviewer

I just bought a Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB (SATAII, 7200 RPM, 32 Mb cache). I ran a few disk benchmarks on it and found that is seems pretty darn slow compared to my Seagate drives. Does anyone else have this WD drive and would you mind running HD Tach on it if you run windows or hdparm if you run LINUX and report the results.

Here are the results using HD Tach under XP Pro 64-bit:
    Random access: 14.3ms
    Average read: 89.6 MB/s
    Burst Speed 224.9 MB/s

Here are the results under LINUX using hdparm
    # hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
    /dev/sda:
    Timing cached reads: 13500 MB in 2.00 seconds = 6761.12 MB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 244 MB in 3.02 seconds = 80.92 MB/sec

As a comparison, I ran the same two benchmarks on my Seagate ST3750330AS (also 750 Gb, 7200 RPM, 32 Mb cache):

Here are the results using HD Tach under XP Pro 64-bit:
    Random access: 12.9ms
    Average read: 91.4 MB/s
    Burst Speed 247.6 MB/s

Here are the results under LINUX using hdparm
    # hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
    /dev/sda:
    Timing cached reads: 15880 MB in 2.00 seconds = 7952.77 MB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 344 MB in 3.01 seconds = 114.19 MB/sec

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I don't know how Linux measure the HDD performance, but the HDTach looks normal to me.

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

HDparm wasn't really that consistent for me. :(

4. graysky

graysky ARP Reviewer

The man page recommends running it multiple times and averaging the results.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Both are 3-platter designs with similar platter capacities (250 GB per platter). The faster access speed does suggest that the Seagate drive may have a slightly higher areal density.

6. Chai

You should have gotten the Caviar Black 1TB model if you want good performance.

7. graysky

graysky ARP Reviewer

I might just have to return this one and get the 1 TB model then... either that or the new Seagate which I can't find anywhere (the 7200.12).

8. Chai

But honestly, it doesn't really matter that much unless you are fully utilising the file transfer speed. 1ms faster random seek time is something you should take into consideration also.

9. Adrian Wong

Yeah, the 1TB WD Caviar Black should be faster. It has 1 TB on 3 platters, so the areal density is 33% higher. Its platter-to-buffer transfer rate should correspondingly be roughly 33% higher.

10. NixDude

NixDude Newbie

Not really, the 1TB model has 6 heads, and the 750TB has 5 heads...so the 750 is not using one side of one platter. So the per platter densities are not that much different, and as such I doubt you notice an improvement.

I suspect the 750 is just a 1TB drive that failed testing on one side of a platter...probably has all 6 heads but one is disabled.

11. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. You are right. My mistake. Don't know how I missed that. :wall:

The areal density of both 1TB and 750GB models are almost the same - they both have 3 platters, but the 1TB model has 6 heads while the 750GB model has only 5 heads.

From the specs which lists both drives as having the same platter-to-buffer transfer rates, it is likely that both drives have the same areal density.

12. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

:lol: There are 1TB drives with just only 2 platters ... Mind you why do you think there are 2TB drives. Pls come back to present, don't be left behind ....

13. Adrian Wong

We are talking about the Caviar Black drives la.. specifically the 1TB and 750GB models. :D

14. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

My bad my bad.. but got 2TB black already ba ...

15. Chai

Don't forget the consumers will only get 6 months after you knew about it. :haha:

16. Adrian Wong

That's why la... :haha: :haha:

17. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

On website liaw ma ... www.wdc.com

18. Adrian Wong

No, what we meant was you have "advanced" knowledge of new WD products, unlike we "ordinary" people. :twisted: :haha:

19. Chai

It's not in Malaysian market unfortunately.