WD VelociRaptor 10krpm 300GB

Discussion in 'News' started by ChampionLLY, Apr 21, 2008.

1. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

Review: Western Digital's VelociRaptor VR150 hard drive - The Tech Report - Page 1

2. miahman

miahman Newbie

good to know they are catching up on the size available.

but these 10krpm hard drives are expensive it puts me off from buying them.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Woah.. Must get us one of these drives to test!! :thumb:

4. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

same here, no money for such luxury..

I guess we can only drool @ benchmarks :drool:

5. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

10K RPM SATA?! And in 2.5"... wowersz!

6. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I'm still using WD740... :mrgreen:

8. Adrian Wong

Yeah, they aren't new but progress on the 10K RPM is still pretty slow.

They will need to reduce the thermal output and power consumption as well as increase the platter size and capacity before it can really go mainstream.

9. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

true... but I think before the 10krpm can hit mainsteam, they will be replaced by SSDs.

10. Chai

I don't think 10k rpm will hit mainstream...

11. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

none provides a 2x WD 640/samsung f1 raid-0 vs a 300GB velociRaptor comparison. shame on them! former is cheaper to build, though doesn't offer lower temp /power consumption. but for about 100bucks cheaper, better performance and an additional 980GB storage space, why not?

reviews, these days.. just plain sux!

12. Chai

Even if WD 640/samsung f1 raid-0 is faster, I will still choose 300GB. :mrgreen:

13. hjlavery

hjlavery Newbie

It depends on how you define "Mainstream" I do a bit of work with high end graphic editing systems and they reguly have 10k and sometimes 15k rpm hard drives, and a large percentage of the webservers I work on have 10k drives in them (particuly the database servers).

That said for home users I would have to agree with ChampionLLY, mainly because laptops are starting to use SSDs already

14. Chai

Mainstream as in regular PC, not in servers. Raptor helps the 10k drives to be sold to consumer, but it's too expensive for average joe.

15. Adrian Wong

Honestly, I doubt it. SSDs have a niche but they are unlikely to completely replace HDDs. Even if they can eventually offer the transfer rates and the capacity of HDDs, their price is likely to remain significantly higher.

16. Adrian Wong

Actually, I think it will.... someday.

Back in the 5400 RPM days, I too thought that 7200 RPM will never be mainstream... but now, practically all desktop HDDs run at 7200 RPM. Okay, except for a few exceptions like the WD Caviar GP. :mrgreen:

17. Adrian Wong

I think you mean smaller laptops like the ASUS EeePC? Somehow I don't see SSDs replacing HDDs mainly due to cost and capacity reasons.

18. Chai

10k rpm is in the market for like 5 years already. Any sign of manufacturers going for 10k rpm other than WD? Nope. Even WD is struggling to make a high capacity 10k rpm at affordable price. Personally I don't think WD is making a lot of money from Raptors.

19. Adrian Wong

Yeah, but 7200 RPM has been around even longer before Seagate made the first 7200 RPM Barracuda desktop hard drive. So IMHO, it's just a matter of time.

20. Chai

I feel that SSD will be affordable and fast by then. Look at the rate the prices of SSD is dropping, and the speed is matching the fastest HDD for the highest end.