WD VelociRaptor 10krpm 300GB

Discussion in 'News' started by ChampionLLY, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

But then SSD HDD are quite costly now. And what i heard from max it also has disadvantage. :lol: can't stop remembering what our lecturer said when we answered some question in the tutorial class (hardware question)

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Like all flash devices, each cell in the SSDs can support a limited number of writes. So flash devices always have a certain number of spare cells and write levelling algorithms to ensure the fewest dead cells possible.

Also, their transfer rates cannot match that of HDDs. They have very fast access times but low sustained transfer rates.

3. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

I never knew that :D

so for hdd, is it the same? with limited number of write?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  4. miahman

miahman Newbie

this is what i think.

if a piece of technology is expensive. it will sell but it will not go mainstream until the price of that technology drops to a level where avrage joes can buy it.

5. Adrian Wong

No.. HDDs use physical platters with a media substrate. Totally different concept. HDDs are more fragile, of course. You can't drop one while it's running and expect it to survive.

An exception would be notebook hard drives with G sensors that detect a drop and park their heads before it hits the ground. Still, it's not as robust as flash drives.

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Cannot match? Are you sure? :p

AnandTech: MTRON MSP 7000 SSD - Raptors Beware

7. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

8. Chai

Look at my post. :p If the high end has the potential of hitting 110MB/sec transfer rate, then I don't see any reason why they can't do it in the future.

9. hjlavery

hjlavery Newbie

there are others that have SSD like this one here and this one here

Still expensieve, ill grant, but they do exist :thumb:

10. Adrian Wong

That's the platter/cell transfer rate. They need to use something like IOMeter to check the actual transfer rates of both small files and large files. Then we will know the SSD's actual performance.

In any case, performance is only one issue. Cost and capacity are bigger issues for the SSDs. They have trouble lowering the cost.. and increasing the capacity.

Look at that SSD drive you post. It may be really fast but it only has 32GB of storage. That's just over 10% of what the new WD VelociRaptor can do.

IMHO, for SSDs to really beat HDDs, they don't really have to be faster in transfer rate performance. They must first tackle the capacity issue... and the cost issue.

11. Chai

It will take over the notebook HDD market first before coming to desktop, and it has already started a few years back. eeePC is the best sign of smaller capacity SSD.

12. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

Sounds pretty complicated.

But I do agree that SSD would needs to have higher capacity & lower cost/GB if they want to replace traditional hdd.

13. Adrian Wong

Yup, definitely notebooks first because the robustness of SSDs make them superb replacements for HDDs. :thumb: :thumb:

However, SSDs have very limited capacity so while it's great for some niche applications like the eeePC, mainstream notebooks are unlikely to use them for sometime to come. Even the most basic notebook these days come with at least 40GB of storage with higher-end models coming with 250GB to 320GB of storage.

In the immediate future, hybrid HDD would replace HDDs in the notebook. Even then, it will a few years to become mainstream. Then later... who knows? :mrgreen:

14. Chai

Thumbdrives are already reaching 32GB, it's sooner than you think. :mrgreen: I think 1 year is more than enough for SSD to replace low end notebook HDDs.

15. Adrian Wong

Well, we shall see. Even today, hybrid HDDs have not replaced any segment of the mobile hard drive market. Price and capacity of SSDs in the near future will determine if it's possible to replace HDDs in notebooks.

16. Chai

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

What!

Holy Crap! And at a time when I am broke too! :doh:

18. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Try contacting the distributor directly, achieva or gcc. The reason they don't sell it here because lack of demand.

19. Chai

Since you are here, I have another question. Does removing the Icepak void the warranty?

Anyway, I think I will be getting the 300GB since it should perform better especially when I short stoke it at 50GB when compared to 150GB because 300GB should maintain better transfer speed and access time at the outer track of 2 platters, instead of 1 (150GB).

I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say. lol

20. Adrian Wong

You mean the heatsink? AFAIK, no.

Yeah, I get what you mean. :D