WD VelociRaptor 10krpm 300GB

Discussion in 'News' started by ChampionLLY, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I read it elsewhere, stating that removing the heatsink will void warranty. Defeats the purpose of owning Velociraptor TBH. One of the main reason for getting this drive is reduced vibration, lower noise. But installing the heatsink only made it worse.

2. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

I am not sure sure why but removing the icepack viod the warranty but you can purchase the version with or without, same price.

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

That is pretty weird... :shock:

4. Chai

5. Chai

I went to Lowyat yesterday. Only the WD3000HLFS is for sale.

6. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

There is no difference between the WD3000HLFS and GLFS as one is for back panel ready and one uses the SATA cable direct so heatseat a bit different. I do not think that they would bring in BLFS here as it more meant for server class usage. BTW, why are you looking for 2.5" version as the drive does not fit into regular notebook bay as it is 15mm thick to the norm 9mm.

7. Chai

I don't mount it on my casing. :mrgreen:

The reason why I want the drive without the heatsink is because of the noise. When the drive is mounted onto the heatsink, the seek noise, motor whining noise is amplified. Some of the hardcore silent PC enthusiast either purchase the server grade BLFS model, or void the warranty on GLFS/HLFS and remove the heatsink anyway. Velociraptor has excellent noise properties for a high performance drive, better than any Raptors, provided that there's no heatsink mounted.

So your question is, how do I mount it on my case? I simply place it on top of some foam. :mrgreen: I will take a picture of it when I have a chance. It has reduced the noise of the drive by a wide margin, now it's almost inaudible. I'm currently using WD740GD.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  8. Chai

Just wondering. If I buy WD3000BLFS from US, can I claim warranty directly from WD M'sia?

9. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Nope .. warranty is regional not worldwide ... too bad .. hehehe

10. Chai

Regional? Means buy from SG still can? :p

11. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Too bad though, since hardware would be a lot cheaper in the US.

12. Chai

Well not necessary for us. At times, it's cheaper here. :mrgreen: