Weird E8600 problem

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Max_87, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Ok, so my E8600 refused to boot up a few days ago. It was running perfectly fine, Prime95 for 12+hours. I stopped the test, shut down the PC to change some hardwares and gone... It refused to boot up on my mobo.

My Abit IP35 Pro is still working fine, now running a P4. I also tested with a E7200. So it can't be the mainboard...

Of course, I tested it E8600 on many different mainboards. Here's the list:

Abit IP35 Pro (P35): fail
    Abit AW9D (i975x): fail
    Asus P5B Deluxe (P965): OK
    Asus P5K EPU (P35): OK
    DFI Lanparty DK P45-T2RS7 (P45): OK
    Biostar dunnowat (G31): OK

Both the Abit mainboards are running fine with all other processors I tested, except this E8600 :wall: All mainboards run 45nm processors fine in case you are wondering.

The E8600 is running fine on my friend's P5K EPU as I'm posting this... it's even overclocked using stock cooling. It also went through a benchmark session when I was at Adrian's place to test it on his Asus P5B.

All I can say is: WTF?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Could it be that the mobo needs a BIOS update? Maybe EO could have something different?

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

It was running perfectly fine before it totally fails to boot up, even on older BIOS. I tried updating to newest BIOS, doesn't solve the problem. I think I've tried almost everything I could think of.

It runs fine even on P965 with old BIOS that doesn't recognize E8600 :lol:

4. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Weird issue indeed..ooh, 1 of my friend did mention to email Abit regarding this..maybe they can do something bout it. if only you mention it earlier before i installed my new mobo into the casing =.="

5. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

I remember reading a intel pdf about c2d's, And at one point it said that you were to only reinstall a cpu up to like 13 times. Maybe try cleaning the lga a bit and try again. Just a thought. Hope you get it figured out.:pray:

6. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Hm... 13 times? The processor was installed to my IP35 Pro and I never removed it until it refused to boot up. The socket is clean and all the pins look fine to me :(

I'm testing the E8600 on P5K EPU now. Still overclocks like when I last tested it on IP35 Pro, no signs of damage/degradation. Now I can only assume the processor is fine and there's something wrong with both the Abit mobos... even though both of them runs other processors fine.

Looks like I'll have to change my mobo :(

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You mean you can only reinstall the processor up to 13 times?? That doesn't sound right. Do you have the PDF at hand? Would like to take a look at it. :think:

8. Adrian Wong

What's REALLY WEIRD about Max_87's problem is that he says it would only boot up if he removes the cooler and let it "heat up" a little before replacing the cooler. :shock:

9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Yeah, it sounds like a cold boot problem and this only happens on AW9D. I couldn't get it to run on IP35 Pro by doing this.

:wall:

10. Trinity

11. Adrian Wong

Oh! That's just the minimum insertion specifications. That means the processor must be certified to be inserted and removed from the socket at least 15 times.

You should have no problem inserting and removing the processor more than that though. I actually do that quite often. LOL! :D

12. Trinity

Ahh! That's what that means.:)

13. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

I was thinking wth if that is true :shock:

14. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm, weird though..i wonder what is causing it..maybe i could ask my friend that works in a distro company about it..

15. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

16. Adrian Wong

Most likely a microcode issue because your CPU is a new stepping which would certainly have a microcode update. Not sure why but the microcode update may be incompatible with your motherboard. You may have to wait for a newer BIOS. :think:

17. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm, got a friend using the same mobo like Max and getting the same processor...maybe we could wait and see if it works. Ohh, and i manage to find some 3rd party bios which many people claim it work..have to wait for max test.

18. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It is the same motherboard and processor. I doubt that's the reason.

19. Adrian Wong

The latest E8600 stepping? Oh good, this should be interesting. :D

20. Adrian Wong

That's what the folks at Intel think, because the most significant difference between this new stepping and the older stepping is the microcode update. Remember, Max had no problem using the E8400 - essentially the same processor core.

Earlier, I was thinking it had to be a CPU voltage issue because that's what the error code states, but now, I'm not so sure anymore because other CPUs seem to work properly with the motherboard.