Weird notebook problem T_T

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Lacus, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Lately been having problem with my laptop. the problem is it sorta hangs at the bios screen but after like 5 minute it boots into windows loading screen..any idea whats wrong? i restore the bios setting to default but it's still the same.And also when running the bios HDD diagnosis, it states read error :confused: So any idea what can i do? (currently using the notebook to type this)

2. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

update bios to newest version, perhaps?

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That sounds like a very very bad problem. Your HDD has problem being detected by the BIOS. Get ready for a replacement.

4. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

well, the thing is..i'm still able to use the notebook..like for 5 hours today..bios is the lastest already..

5. Chai

My old HDD was acting like this when it was failing.

6. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

wtf!!! better backup my stuff first..man, the laptop did not even used for a year yet...

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Woah.. Chai's right. It doesn't sound good. You should migrate your data out of that hard drive before it fails.

8. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Quickly, do a data migration. Don't waste even for one second. If you have an external hard disk, dump all the important contents inside it. :whistle:

9. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

yup sounds like a HDD prob. Do this happens everything a bootup? Run some diagnostic software on the drive should be able to tell you some info.

10. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

do you hear lots of clicking sound ?

11. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

well no sound or anything...hmm, hdd also affects during boot up? damnit..i need to get a lan cable then...arg..should have gotten it that day when i meet up with yong_grand..and yeah, this only happen during boot up -.-..

12. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If it's a SATA hard drive, you can just attach it to your PC using standard SATA power and data cables. You can transfer your data much faster that way.

If it's an IDE hard drive, you can buy one of those notebook hard drive adaptors. I think Chai bought one for me from Low Yat Plaza for only RM 10-15? Then you can hook it up to your PC too.

13. Chai

I don't think it's that cheap, but it shouldn't cost more than RM40.

14. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmmm, you guys mean by using those wires that does not involve casing? but then buying a lan cable will be much cheaper than getting those? damn it..have to back it up before it dies permanently :(...Does anyone have a pc to router lan cable i can lend or something :/

15. Chai

No, just a NB HDD adapter to USB.

16. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm, but the thing is the notebook is still under warranty, don't think i wanna open it up to transfer data =_=...

17. Chai

Taking out the HDD, RAM does not void warranty, unless it's a stupid vendor. :lol:

18. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

ram of cause won't void warranty..it's the hdd =/...most manufacturer place a warranty sticker there right o_O...i guess i use the old way to transfer data then =/..thanks for the idea :D

19. Chai

I don't think so. Haven't seen one. But I do know some manufacturer don't allow RAM upgrades on your own... :shifty:

20. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm, cause i remember my acer notebook, it has a hidden warranty sticker near the hdd,so when it's taken out....bye bye warranty =_="..i shall try later on..thanks for the advice o.o