Weird Win7-64bit random restarting (built May 2012)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ishtim, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

What's under the hood?

i7-3770 (NON K) stock cooler @ <45C (using onboard gfx)
    ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
    4X4 GB Corsair - PC312800
    Kingston SH100S3B120G
    ~3 yr Old 600W (mid range, don't know model) Antec PSU in an Antec 300 case
    64bit Windoze 7

Used as home office machine and picture processing machine (PS CS5).

Where would you start looking? PSU, wall (house power/connection), temps look fine... :think:

I tried the Windoze 7 Recovery thing and it seems clueless. Haven't tested memory or anything at this point either...

TIA :hug:

2. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Just restarted (on its own)... reset Restore settings to BSOD instead of restart. :think:

3. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Hmmm this is a hard problem to diagnose. I'll probably start with the PSU and the Mobo.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Unlikely to be PSU. Try taking out 2 slots of RAM, perform some torture test like Prime 95, RAM test etc.

Are you running anything stressful when it happens?

5. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

these days, mobo can hardly cause any major bsod. pretty much all the critical components have been moved on-die. the bus, the mem controller, the chipset and even some part of the power circuitry.

most of such cases are memory related. have you tried a stick at a time?

6. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Just an idea, Could it be windows update or some other program forcing a reboot after an automatic update?:think:

7. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

No recent updates. It tried to do a restore when reboots into recovery. Will try memory first today after work. I also noticed that unchecking the "Automatically Restart" button in System Settings dosent force the BSOD. It just restarts. :snooty:

8. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

This may be a good sign. :pray:

I took the case from underneath the desk, removed the covers, unplugged all cables and rebooted. So far, so good. Could it be that the PSU cord was never fully inserted resulting in a poor connection? :haha: I am leaving as is and gonna see what happens?

Now back to fun stuff... :angel:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Not sure if it's related... but I once had a BSOD because of a crappy SATA cable. Okay, it could be an exception because this was on the testbed where I plug HDDs in and out all the time.

After it BSODed a few times for no reason, I reseated the memory chips, the graphics card, etc. Do note that the system is "naked" so yeah, it's possible for the graphics card to "move".. LOL!

I finally pinpointed the problem to the SATA cable that was attached to the boot drive. Replaced that and BSOD gone!

I don't think there's anything electrically wrong with the cable. Maybe the connector just wasn't in a good shape, because the BSODs occurred pretty randomly, and hey, the system could boot.

10. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

The system is still running since I made the last post. I just put the case back together, put it back into its cubby hole and rebooted... now I post again. :wave:

Not going to hold my breath, but I think I solved it. :rolleyes:

...now I really need to get over to that bragging corner. :wicked:

11. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

So it was due to loose cables?

12. Adrian Wong

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  13. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Just the a/c power cord in the back. :oops:

14. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Well, guess there should be some technology involved in checking the cables, power flow and other things like that.
    Sometimes a small unimportant thing (apparently) can shutdown a whole system.

15. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

... and usually the hardest to troubleshoot. :wall:

16. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Had another episode on my once H20 cooled i7-2660K machine. In the Event viewer, many "critical" Kernel error (41 or 43 don't remember) and random reboots. Finally, it hung at boot saying it couldnt find the OS drive... HUH? So I went in the case and jiggled the SATA cable to the drive in question and problem seems to have gone away.

Does anyone else have problems with the SATA cables connecting at the drive? Its a Kingston HyperX SSD. If I remember the it has a clip but only on one end. Does this go at the mobo end or the drive end? :think:

17. Adrian Wong

I experienced issues with several of the SATA data and power cables over the years. Usually all they need is a reseating or a jiggle. However, one of the SATA data cables malfunctioned and had to be replaced.

It doesn't matter which way you hook it up. The data cable works both ways.