Western Digital 500 GB Caviar GP Hard Drive Review

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Apr 13, 2008.

1. litle_8

litle_8 Newbie

Western Digital is still Great

Their drives are really quiet and functions for a LONGGG time.
    But dont know if anyone realized this, but you see like that silver foil thing on the side of the motherboard or that sticker that says warrenty void if removed. If u accidently break it, your drive is done. dust will get in and destroy your drive. Seems wierd to me that they will trust a piece of take to do that job :S

2. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

LOL! Better wait until all of you get your HDDs, then I get 1TB for about the same price... :thumb:

3. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Curse your lower prices!
    I am jealous :mrgreen:

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, then you start bragging. I feel like getting another Raptor... :(

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Ahaha... then you can get the 1TB and curse yourself for not waiting. :mrgreen:
    Get la.. money only what? You have a lot! :thumb:

6. Chai

Vista is taking way too much space. How I wish I can continue to use XP with 4GB RAM. :(

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i have enought diskspace at the moment ! i just need a core 2 setup!

8. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

How is vista taking up so much space o_O? You actually meant the memory or the hdd size?

9. Chai

Both. My system is not exactly low end... :lol:

10. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Your system specification should be identical to max. If I'm not mistaken :p.By the way what you actually mean by taking up so much space?

11. Chai

I used to assign 20GB for XP, and now I assigned 30GB for Vista, and it's running out of space in 3 days. :o

My system is similar to his, other than 4GB Corsair, and 8800GTS 512. :lol:

12. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

My Vista installation alone is already taking up over 6GB of space. So 30GB isn't enough if you want to install several office applications and a few games.

13. Chai

I do not install games on the same drive. I cleared a lot of temp files, and some hibernation files. Cleared up a lot of space.

14. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

I don't install anything on the drive or partition with the OS not even the swap file ...

15. Chai

Unless you have a dedicated HDD for swap file, it's not recommended because the OS drive usually is at the edge of the platter, which means it's faster.

16. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I actually don't care. Set 100GB for the OS partition. Install everything on it as well. :D

17. Mac Daddy

I have found that setting the swap file to a different HDD than the OS is more efficient :)

18. Chai

Ahh...a different HDD... :mrgreen:

19. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Err, my dying 120gb hdd..I actually give vista a 25gb partition =_=. More than enough atm. Games are installed in the next partition.

20. Mac Daddy

All I have installed in my Vista partition is what came with it and a few small programs like Acrobat reader ... no games and I am already using 18G of my Vista partition. I think 30G as an absolute minimum without using that partition for games and other programs.

You don't realize how much you will use this partition day to day I found pictures off my camera were taking up some of this space. I didn't even realize I using this partition. DLing pics from your camera is something you do on a regular basis.