Western Digital External Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Mister, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Mister

Mister Newbie

I want to buy a new 1TB external hard drive. I'm considering the 'Western Digital My Book Home' and the 'Western Digital Elements.' I don't know exactly the big differences regarding performance (because I'm far from an expert), so has someone a suggestion? The latter is far cheaper than the former, but I'm affraid that it also is a minor drive...

P.S.: Sorry if my english isn't that great, because I'm also not an expert in the english language...

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If you are only using USB, then it's not going to matter much in terms of performance.

eSATA is faster than USB, so make sure you have eSATA if you want My Book Home.

3. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

I never get my eSATA work on the external drive. Any idea what's wrong since it wont automatically detect like USB does.

4. Mister

Mister Newbie

I don't have a eSATA gate on my laptop, so I will only use the USB. So the extra money for the Western Digital My Book home, is for the most part just for the eSATA stuff, and the better design?

5. Chai

In terms of performance, I don't think so.

Desktop Overview

This is the feature chart.

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If you only use USB, then it will be the bottleneck, not the hard disk drive. In that case, get the cheapest option - the WD Elements.

7. Adrian Wong

They should be automatically detected like regular SATA drives. You will need special eSATA cables though. Also, check if the eSATA controller driver has been properly installed for your OS.

8. Chai

If you are using the motherboard SATA port, there's no need to install any drivers.

9. Adrian Wong

SATA port? The eSATA cable and connector is different from the SATA cable and connector

10. Chai

It's basically the same thing. Connectors are different, but do you know many external drives comes with SATA to eSATA bracket, I don't even bother using the 'onboard' eSATA ports, and I rather use the Intel SATA ports.

It's like USB and mini-USB. It's the same thing, just different port.

11. Adrian Wong

Yeah, functionally they are the same, but I remember reading that they intentionally created special eSATA cables for some reason... maybe it's the limitation on cable length. :think:

12. Chai

Yup, cable limitation. But the point is, eSATA port is not necessary.