Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player Review

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Dec 11, 2008.

1. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

The latest firmware was released on 27.04.2009. I've made a review for this product while ago and many buyers were pleased with it (the product and the review). Besides the fact it's cheap it also plays many file formats.
    From the WD page "Fixed bugs reported by the WD TV user community".
    Please do a little research and check your comments before posting.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

When we first saw the WD TV in early December, 2008, we were very impressed with it. In fact, we have been telling people just how it will render disc-based players useless, and we were proven right.

Since its launch, the WD TV has taken off like a rocket. Here was a player that was not only capable of decoding HD video content, it was also affordable - an important factor in these trying times. Never mind the fact that it does not come with any storage capacity. All you have to do is plug in a USB drive and play your media files off them. How much simpler can it get?

[​IMG]

Link : Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player Review

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

typa A plug, cutting cost? :think:

4. Adrian Wong

Most likely to simplify packaging - one size for all countries. But this is an important point because most people are eager to get started after buying the WD TV.

Then they find out that the provided plug is useless for the sockets we have. Unless you happen to have a universal adaptor hanging around, you will have to postpone the WD TV experience until you get the right adaptor.

5. zy

true, maybe simple packaging.

does this apply to the MyBook back in Malaysia?

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

What about RM support? In Asian countries, I think this is a very important format.

7. Adrian Wong

No, the WD My Book shipped with the Type G (British) plug.

8. Adrian Wong

No RM support yet. But that will apparently appear in a lower-end model that's set to debut very soon. Later this month, from what I understand.

9. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

10. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Looks very promising with a lot of features and not to mention the 0dB advertise and BT client but the price is way too high for a product on the market since April or May 2009. I'll stick with WD as the price here is under 100 euro. T-1000? Here comes the Terminator...

11. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Since this product is highly unique, they could be going on market skimming pricing.

Wait till we have china brand competitors

12. Adrian Wong

They better watch out... WD is going to release a lower-end version of the WD TV at a much lower price! :D

Granted, it's going to be a LOWER-END WD TV model but it will include support for more formats and most importantly, it's going to be cheaper.

13. zy

i saw this in BestBuy yesterday, i didnt know its that small. it doesnt look that small in pictures. LOL

14. Adrian Wong

Yeah, it's really small. And light too. :D

15. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Issues with the WD I have:
    1. Cannot load the subtitle I want!
    2. Has a problem with the HDMI connector and for some unknown reason the unit starts only after I pull-push the HDMI cable (the cable works perfectly with the dvd player).
    3. The subtitle should have the same name as the movie!?
    I need some answers to the question 1 and 3 before I will sent my unit to be replaced because of the number 2.
    I'm using the latest firmware 1.02.

16. zy

3. yes, your subtitle should have the same name and in the same folder.

17. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Well, they should introduce the ability to load subtitles, I have a dvd recorder (Kansai) who allows me to do that without a problem even from a usb stick (the subtitle doesn't need to have the same name as the movie).

18. Adrian Wong

The WD TV definitely has some problems with subtitles. In one particular movie, split into two parts, the subtitle for the first part worked but not the second part. :wall:

19. zy

it all depends on the codec i guess ;p

even on our pc, by default it will use the same name.
    but there are codes which allows you to use different file names/location.