What aspects need to be taken into consideration when choosing a HD?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by vccy118, Nov 1, 2005.

1. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

I want to get a new desktop/notebook hard disk as I lack disk space... What I need to consider when choosing the best hard disk for me?

2. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

1. your budget
    2. HDD warranty

:mrgreen:

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Err.. First, you have to decide which you want - a notebook hard disk or a desktop hard disk. :mrgreen:

4. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

Confused either to get notebook hard disk or desktop hard disk also... :p
    About the budget, i allocate around RM300 for the HD... and warranty.. if i want long-term warranty my choices are limited...

5. aKho

with around RM300, you can get a 160-200GB desktop HDD with brands lilke Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor and Samsung (PATA or SATA).

for notebook HDD, the highest is around 60GB with brands like Seagate and Western Digital. 80GB or more is way above RM300.

attached is the price listing from Compuzone of Lowyat in KL.

Attached Files:

6. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

wah! Seagate 160 GB SATA only RM315...and the price is from September's... meaning it is lower now? :think:

Seagate's performance good or not?

7. aKho

Seagate HDD will always be my first choice...
    followed by Western Digital, Maxtor and Samsung.
    Seagate got 5 years warranty ba... :thumb:

8. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

ooooo.... icic. Then I will just get a 160 GB Seagate SATA. :mrgreen:

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL!! How can you be confused about that? :mrgreen:

Which are you upgrading? A notebook or a desktop? :mrgreen:

10. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

Neither... I am just planning to get an extra hard disk, a desktop or notebook hard disk is fine with me... :mrgreen:

11. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

get seagate, 5 years warranty. and they have a service center in subang. easier for personal warranty and self-collect.

no one can predict when your HD can fail.

and regarding the performance, all the 7200rpm drive will give you just about the same speed "feel". unless you are comparing a 10rpm drive with a 7.2k rpm drive..

if u want quietness, samsung is an excellent choice :thumb:

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I want an external HDD, is it? :roll:

13. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

Yea.... changing my notebook HDD is a pain, so why don't just get an external? :mrgreen:
    I have a casing for desktop hard disk, anyway... :mrgreen:

14. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

The noise it generates is not a problem... I always have my speakers on with loud music so I won't hear it anyway. :mrgreen:
    (want to get a new speaker as well... my Edifier sounds funny lately :think: )

15. Chai

Do you want speed or portability?

16. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

if you are a download hoe and you want large space, then get a desktop hdd, if you want protability and just need a little more space on top of your limited notebook hdd, then get an external notebook hardisk.

17. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

:think: I just want some extra disks pace... portability... I never consider either I will bring it around with me or not... I think I will just leave it at home. So a desktp HD it is! But I am also wondering about the temperature it might generate... :think: Is there such thing as higher temperature will cause damage or shorten the lifespan of a hard disk? :think: The casing that I currently own has a built-in fan but will it be sufficient? :think: Is there a hard disk which generates less heat? :think: And is there a hard disk which have better resistance against impact? :think:

Maybe I am thinking too much... :p

18. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

dont use any casing :haha: ..
    but not tha advisable..

i've seen someone using a desktop hard disk without any casing.. just 2 wires.. USB-IDE .. & just a power adapter :p

19. Chai

That's my style! :thumb: