What card to get...

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by 1031982, Feb 11, 2009.

1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

The problem with the cards suggested is the they don't have the 1GB RAM.
    But, I was able to get the HIS card, and it should come in on Monday. Not from NewEgg, but Tiger Direct. I live in IL, so whenever it gets shipped out I get it the fallowing day. It was $2 for shipping, and driving out to them would have been more.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Do you need 1GB of graphics RAM? :think:

3. fapDaddy

fapDaddy Newbie

Another fellow who overuse ram? :lol:

4. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

in what settings one giga can be utilized :lol:

5. Adrian Wong

I think only Crysis will utilize 1GB of RAM if you select Ultra High Quality. Otherwise, 512MB is more than enough for other games.

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

But 4850 is not really powerful enough to handle. 4870 1GB cards make more sense.

7. Adrian Wong

You mean Crysis? Yeah, well, Crysis is "insane". :haha:

Plus, Crysis is "optimized" for NVIDIA cards, so you will need a faster ATI card to match the frame rate of comparable NVIDIA cards.

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I mean 1GB, not necessarily Crysis. To take advantage of additional 512MB, you most probably need to enable some sort of AA settings which 4850 couldn't handle on many occasions.

9. Adrian Wong

Oh yeah, which is why I think 1GB would be overkill....

10. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm even 4850 with 1gb vram, it can't really ultilize all unless it's on a huge screen. but then like chai mention, 4850 is not powerful enough thus having 1gb of vram on 4850 is a bit wasted imo :/ @fapdaddy, vram lar :p..not ram :p

11. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

the only card that can give me playable framerate on Crysis with max (DX10) details at 1680x1050 is the HD4870x2. :D GTX280 couldn't make the cut.

and yes, 1GB for HD4870 would be nice but not worth the premium on HD4850.

12. fapDaddy

fapDaddy Newbie

Wonder why most IGPs have memory allocated to them and there's no on board VRAM anywhere to be seen. :think:

Maybe...just maybe... they both have the "RAM" sound because they are designed to carry out similar tasks?? :confused:

Ram is ram, the ram chip stores a bunch of data, which is later retrieved by the processing unit. :|

Harem also rem, the guy handles a bunch of chicks, which is later ...... processed by his di** :rolleyes:

13. Adrian Wong

To save cost! :D

They share memory with the CPU, so manufacturers can save on adding dedicated RAM chips for the IGP.

14. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

How about because I simply wanted it for the purpose of having it?
    I want to play Hellgate London eventually. That recommends 768MB VRam. Basically, there are a few games I want to play that can use higher then 512MB VRam. I just figured I get a solid 1GB because I could afford it.
    As of now, I have a monitor running 1680x1050. Eventually, I want to get a new monitor to run things at 1920x1080. I realise that for the most part, only about 300MB might be used, and most of the time at most 35MB might be used. (Because I won't be playing games, just casual things). But the fact I will be playing Crysis eventually made it worth it to me.