What causes RAM to fail…

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by 1031982, Mar 6, 2006.

1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

When it’s being used at the rated settings and there is no power surge?:think:
    One of my 512MB sticks went bad, and I am working on RMA’ing it (Lifetime warranty) but I am wondering what could have caused it to happen.

2. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Sh*t happens? :lol:

3. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Ya, that's the only thing I can think of, but I can't help but wonder...

4. b104

b104 Newbie

Beware of plugging external devices into your computer without surge protection.
    I.E. tv card aerials,video,dvd recorders & Xbox' etc. Those surge protection boards with aerial & telephone protection are worth it.You can sometimes feel the charge off the aerial jack regardless whether there is a surge or not. (Writing from experience).
    Then again,some fault in its manufacture was just waiting to make your day,maybe.
    P.S. Reread your post & was wondering how you knew there was no power surge?
    I included the examples in case you had not considered one of them as a surge risk.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  5. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

Tons of factors, power surges, manufacturing defects and such. Although my personal list goes like this due to the fact i OC.

1. Heat Death (ICs obviously die at high enough temperature)
    2. Electromigration (High voltages no good for chippies even with good cooling)
    3. Overloading (Depends on your motherboard's power delivery reliability)

6. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Well let’s see. No heat issue, as I have placed my hand in the case as it's running (after removing the side panel) and it's just warm, with a good airflow. Everything gets all nice and cooled, and nothing is hot. (Except some of the heatsink on the CPU.) As for Electromigration, that would have come up before as that module in particular was placed in 3 different boards to test it. (I wanted to show people the effect of increasing the RAM as well, that I took care of two things at once) Overloading, wouldn’t that fry both the cards? They were in banks 1 and 3, and the card in bank 3 is the one that went bad.
    There is no real abnormal input. All my external I/O devices are as fallows:
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Webcam
    Speakers
    Printer
    Moniter
    NIC

7. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

electromigration is also known as sudden death syndrome, it just happens if the ICs are either subjected to extremely high voltages, or if the silicon they're based on is just inferior and gates just cut under the pressure. Well, i'm just going to say that even with superior tech processes these days, it still comes down to good ol luck lol.

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Very true. Have had hardware die on me for no apparent reason. :D

9. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Ah, well I hope the replacement will be OK, and here soon. 512 is a killer compared to 1GB!

10. b104

b104 Newbie

One last thought,banks 1 & 3 may both have been stressed but the ram in bank 3 might have been slightly inferior to stick 1 in the manufacturing process.

11. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

That would be weird, but possible. I got my replacement in, and 1GB is sooo much nicer!