What criteria do you look for when buying a mouse?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chai, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Since I'm eying a new mouse, and some of you have just gotten a new mouse, what do you think is the most important to you?

- Ergonomics
    - Features
    - Looks
    - Reliability
    - Price

This is how I sort my priorities.
    1. Ergonomics
    2. Features
    3. Reliability
    4. Price
    5. Looks

2. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

To me form factor :thumb:

Must fit nicely to my hand not too big not too small, rite now IE is the best for, Logitech just dun fit rite. And of course price.

1. Ergonomics
    2. Price
    3. Reliability
    4. Features
    5. Looks

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Hmmm. Thats a tuffy.. I look for all of those...

To me:
    1. Ergonomics - It has to fit my hand well now doesnt it? ;) The way the mouse's layout. Grips in the right places. Well placed buttons (change program :doh:, not that I use it anyways..) I like smooth contour. My hand is big.
    2. Reliability - It has to last. A good warranty just incase it goes FUBAR. The things on it must last (grips, printing, color)
    3. Looks - No point in it having great features if it looks like smothered turd. :whistle: Must be pleasing. Not too big (or else you'll be dragging more weight).The colors must really suit each other.
    4. Features - the mouse must have something interesting to offer. Extra buttons that are usable in gaming. Great color choices. Lovely design,
    5. Price - This is LEAST important. This is as, you'll definitely be paying more for the performance you get. I dont mind paying more just to have improvements in the other categories.

What is most important, is that you give things a try and be open about any new changes. No such thing as a perfect mouse. :mrgreen:

Plus, perfection is subjective from individual, to individual. If it suits u enough, get it. Regardless of what people say. I bought a RM60 mousepad. Was heavily laughed at, but I enjoyed its slickness. :dance: :thumb:

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

1- Ergonomics - You're gonna use the mouse indefinately... where can settle for a crap mouse?
    2- Features - Yes.. features is important.
    3- Reliability - Still important to me but secondary.. if it dies.. i'll just get another one
    4- Looks - acutally not important at all but...
    5- Price - this is the least of importance... Chai and Adrian knows i dun mind spending a tonne of good stuff...

5. Chai

1. Ergonomics - To me, MS always have an edge in ergonomics. Because they place their priority just like me, ergonomics a lot more than looks. Just look at their designs, buttons are extremely well placed, extremely comfortable to hold at. Only recently they started giving different color choices, but their mouse are still very nice to hold at.

2. Features - It's nice to have a lot of features, but it's useless if you don't use it, like the tilt scroll and the program button on Logitech. The most important features I want is 5 buttons, good software. That is basically all I need.

3. Relibility - I want the buttons to continue working after heavy torturing, the tracking to work as brand new. MS never disappoint me in this department too. None of my MS mouse have failed yet, even the old ones! :clap:

4. Price - Like what Psykhotik said, you get what you have paid for. Simple as that. Don't expect a cheap mouse to be good.

5. Looks - This is my least important criteria, that is why I'm never a fan of case modding, making my desktop looks nice, lights...etc...Why waste my time making my system looks nice when no one will see it? :D Post picture on the internet? Self Satisfactory? :D Unlike Psykhotik, I place the color fading under this category, because it affects its looks. Yup, MS mice's paint will fade after heavy usage. But I honestly don't care much. It's just like those toothbrush with the color indicator. If it fades too much, it's old and it's time to change. :D

There is such thing as a perfect mouse. :D IE3 is my dream mouse. It has everything I want/need. The only complain I have is the fading color, since I place the looks priority at the last, it doesn't concern me.

But I can't say the same for IE4 though, buttons are not as well placed, the software is a tad lacking compare to IE3. Which is why I'm still thinking whether to get IE4. IE3 was a different case when I wanted to get it a few years back. :wall:

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

1. Ergonomics - Super important to me. I'm starting to get symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome! :mad:

I like my IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0 (should write a review on it) but its ergonomics are not perfect, at least not for my hands. I don't like the side buttons. :evil:

But then again, the IE 2.0 may be perfect for other users who have BIG hands. :mrgreen:

When it comes to such things, it's best to try it out yourself and decide if the mouse is suitable for you.

2. Features - I'm no power user. But features like a scroll wheel, wireless connection, accurate and sensitive sensor and of course, a fast response time; these are important to me! :thumb:

3. Reliability - The mouse is an important HID (Human Interface Device) for me so it won't do for it to die on me when I'm working on something important. Especially if I paid a bomb for it! :haha:

4. Looks - I don't mind unconventional looking mice. But no neon-coloured mice, please! :naughty:

BTW, I will take offence if the colour of an expensive mouse fades. I think colour adhesion should not be a problem when you are paying top dollar for the mouse.

5. Price - I don't mind paying money for a mouse that fits all the criteria above. But don't expect me to foot money blindly. I will compare the mouse with its competitors and decide whether it offers value for money.

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

same here! :)
    no $$$ to buy expensive mouse..
    using a cheap rm40 samsung mouse.. :p

well .. at least its confortable for me :)
    dont like using mini mouse ..
    dun like using A4 tech .. qualiy .. sux..

8. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

- Ergonomics (yes, must fit my hand. i must feel nice when i hold)
    - Price (yes, must fit my wallet. i must feel nice when i buy - usually RM 60 to 80 range)
    - Reliability (no such thing as use 3 month and go mice heaven type)
    - Features (nahh i don't care much. just 3 buttons 1 roller is good enough. MUST have optical sensors. when i move, it feels nice = pass test.)
    - Looks (generally if it meets the above, it looks nice already. i don't like fancy mice - if i want them fancy i'll get a hamster and dress it)

the only mouse i buy so far are from Logitechs (yes, yes i know MS are great. i know. i would recommend them to people too......pls don't flame me on this. :p)........yeah. i have 2 opticals, 1 roller if office. 2 opticals at my Gf family and 1 roller too. and all from me......wahh. that's 6!! (i didn't realize that).

9. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

1. Looks - Yup, this is the first thing that attracts me, the color, attractiveness, etc. :mrgreen: Bought MX500 because of this too. I like the color. Actually I fell in love with its looks. ;)

2. Ergonomics - This comes second, closely behind the Looks. Well, since I'll not be able to get a feel of both MS and Logitech's mouse, I'll go with looks and the overall shape. But sad to say... MX500 is a little too big for my hand. Yeah, it's weird. My hand isn't too small but it just doesn't fit right. And I feel that MS is bigger, so... what mouse is suitable for me? :doh:

3. Reliability - This is very important because for the past few years, I've been changing mouse like nobody's business. :wall: So, I would like to at least get a mouse that can last me at least 2 years if not more. :whistle:

4. Features - This is not very important to me. I mean I still haven't try any mouse that have the features that I wanted. All I want is the natural feel, like where I want the cursor to go, it goes, effortlessly of coz. :p And well-placed buttons. I like the scroll-down button on MX500. Great feel to it but not the scroll-up and the change-program ones though.

5. Price - I don't think anyone will get a mouse costing more than RM300 right? Like that I better get another hdd. :lol:

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Me too. the first time I saw this mouse was in a magazine. It was actually a MX700, but its just the same. With the exception of the change program button, the rest are just nice for me. :thumb:

11. Chai

Now I see the pattern. Those who place looks higher up will choose MX500, those who doesn't will get MS... :whistle:

I don't care how nice it looks TBH...hehe

12. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

those who go even lower, but likes a nice mouse at nice price like myself........go for :) this mouse my fav. now getting cheaper and cheaper, but still nice.

Attached Files:

13. Chai

If you noticed, Looks is not my priority (last). Ergonomics and features are, that's why anything that's MX300 or lower will never meet my expectation. :)

14. Mike

Mike Newbie

i look for one with enough buttons and decent shape for both holding and looking at.

the MS intelli mouse V3 is the one i settled with. yeh i know it's not cool to buy micro$oft, but still, at this price it's hard to argue with.

15. Chai

Totally agree with that. Best mouse I've ever owned! :D I'm biased, but I seriously love this mouse. :D

16. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hah! I have this mouse too! :thumb:

17. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Eh, you said you were not bias, now bias back? Make up your mind la... :whistle: