What do I need to know to upgrade?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Pmaw10, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Pmaw10

Pmaw10 Newbie

I upgraded my RAM, next up is the CPU. I have a P4 2.00GHz and am looking to upgrade to a P4 3.2GHz. Besides the socket (i have 478) is there anything else I need to take into consideration? Well also besides the PSU which I know I need to upgrade as mine is 200W or less. My dad said I might not be able to upgrade because sometimes the bus speed is too slow or something.

2. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

The bus speed shouldn't be problem since the processor would slow itself down according to the speeds supported by the motherboard. Assuming you're getting yourself P4C Northwood, you should be getting quad pumped 200mhz bus. And yes, your PSU is woefully lacking, upgrade it before you do anything.

Another point i'd like to make is, with the money spent on upgrading, I assume 500 for the proc and 200 for the PSU as minimum. Maybe you should be jumping on the new tech bandwagon?

3. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Hmmm how about also upgrading your GPU? what are you currently using?

What about hard disk or maybe even a DVD burner?

I guess it all depends on what is the purpose of your upgrades and what you want out of it.

4. Pmaw10

Pmaw10 Newbie

This is all mainly for gaming. Upgrading my ram made the game 10x better. I guess I will focus in a video card first. Whether I upgrade my cpu or video card I will need a new psu.

5. brajko2

brajko2 Newbie

Well first of all if you want to upgrade your computer, you just have to tell us which motherboard you have? which manufacturer, chipset??
    I assume it has agp port, so the best solution would be graphic card nvidia 6xxx series, model depends on how much money are you willing to spend...

As far as PSU in concerned try not to save on it. PSU is the most important component in a computer... so purchase some 350-400w brand PSU like tagan, seasonic, enermax, fsp, coolermaster..

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006