Whats the best 17inch LCD for gaming...

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by eg660, Feb 9, 2005.

1. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

fyi only.

call DELL and this direct ext: 2616

looks for bridget lai

hope she can help u :)

2. The 1704FPT just got delivered to my desk this morning I can't wait to get home and test it :D

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Congrats! Let us know how it performs! :mrgreen:

4. Well after 1 hour of testing it's on it's way back to Dell.

Here is my opinion

Gaming

At 1280 x 1024 it's pretty good, no visible ghosting and looks smooth as butter, the colors are beautiful. At this point I was impressed. :thumb:

BUT my Xbox using the X2VGA converter does High Definition output to RGB signal, looks 10x better than normal Xbox on a TV screen when displayed on a PC monitor, NOT THIS MONITOR since high def signal is not the monitor's native 1280 x 1024 is looks like hell, distorted text and pixels. Still playable with no ghosting, but not very pretty.

Windows
    This is where I realized the Rojakpot forums needs a VOMIT smilie icon. If you so much as shift your head to the right or left you loose all sense of color. I remember reading the viewing angle was bad on these things, but seriously Dude this is terrible.

If you spend allot of time in windows like I do, browsing the web, email, working etc... do not get this monitor. My wife came in and she cannot sit next to me and look at stuff onscreen because everything is a hazy shade of red sitting right next to me.

This first set of pics is from the 1704FPT on the right and a 1704FPVs on the left

From head on you will notice some color difference in the 1704FPT

[​IMG]

No a view from a slightly elevated angle

[​IMG]

From the side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look how Hazy the screen is :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Similar Photos taken with 2 1704FPVs

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  5. Adrian Wong

Wow.. That's quite a few monitors you have there! :shock: :mrgreen:

Nice review BTW! :thumb:

6. Sorry it was a quickie, I was just so dissappointed in the 1704FPT's performance I wasn't in the mood to play with it anymore. I was hoping I could replace one of my 1704FPVs models with the 1704FPT and eliminate the 17"CRT I use for my Xbox, leaving me with only 2 monitors on my desk. This monitor was terrible far worse than a standard laptop screen.

If you keep your head directly in front of the monitor and don't move, do everything in 1280x1024 and do not need accurate color reproduction then this would be an OK monitor for you. It's a tad grainy, but it should work ok for web browsing and office apps.

7. Adrian Wong

Dang.. That doesn't sound good at all. :snooty: