What's the best way to setup Android tablet for kids?

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by atwl77, Dec 11, 2016.

1. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

I found a lot of articles online but most of them seem to be outdated, either mentioning android 5.0 or, more often than not, android 4.3 and below...

...but from the bit of info that I've gleaned from them, I've got two choices:

1) Make my account the main user, then add a restricted account; or

2) Create a separate account for the kids

Method 2 sounds like the cleanest, since separate accounts means each kid has their own preferences/apps/files, but apparently Google has an age restriction so I'd have to lie about their age in order to make an account for them?

In which case Method 1 seems to be the proper one but I'm not sure how individual preferences, installed apps and files (like photos, drawings, etc) sync? I also found someone comment that this method might be too restricted to be really viable for kid use:

Well, maybe some of the info that I'm getting might also be outdated, so I'm not sure... any comments?

BTW for reference, I'm setting up two Android 6 tablets for both of my kids.

2. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

I found another complication:

Unless the info I found is outdated for Android 6, only the main user can access the SD card. Which kind of means that creating secondary or restricted profiles are all out the window, the kid must be on the main user account. :eh:

This is just getting silly, should have just gotten cheap JOI Windows tabs instead... :doh:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Although I don't even own an Apple device myself, but I have to say, in terms of child proofing a tablet, nothing beats iPad using Apple configurator to limit the device how ever you wish to. I can't find a similar tool for Android, in fact, I feel that Google is abandoning their Android tablet. Lack of tablet optimized apps, even their native apps.

Windows tabs are very limited as well, and pretty slow with usually 1GB of RAM on those JOI.

4. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Ugh... messed around a bit more. The restricted profile (being setup as Kids Mode on the Lenovo) sucks. It completely changes the theme, puts an ugly countdown timer on the main screen (to tell the kid how much time playtime is left, but its a fugly cartoon clock), and a bunch of apps don't run. Chrome doesn't even start.

So I went back to trying to setup using a main account. Found this Nova Launcher app to replace the default launcher and then hide everything except for a few apps. Play Store is also hidden but I setup parental settings for it just in case. Set Chrome home page to youtube.

Think that's pretty decent enough but I'll check around to see what else I can configure...

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Are they able to access to Settings page after doing that?

6. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Yeah, but accessing it is not so obvious and they probably won't know what to do with it (other than randomly press stuff and mess the system up) so I guess its still fine.

7. wahidovic

wahidovic Newbie

So I returned to attempting to setup utilizing a fundamental record. Discovered this Nova Launcher application to supplant the default launcher and afterward stow away everything aside from a couple of applications. Play Store is likewise covered up yet I setup parental settings for it to be safe. Set Chrome landing page to youtube.