Where to get good quality VGA cable?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by karhoe, Apr 23, 2011.

1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Hi guys,

I need a 5m VGA cable. I went to a shop and grabbed one 5M vga cable off the shelf, took it home and it wont carry more than 1024 x 768 pixels ! My normal VGA cable can easily carry 1920 x 1080.

So I took it back to the shop and told the sales guy, he kept telling me that VGA can never carry 1080 signal and that I need to use DVI or HDMI, going to great length as if I'm a computer illiterate person.

He tried to proof it to me by connecting the VGA cable to my laptop and showed on the control panel that it can never go beyond 1024 x 768.

I pointed him to the TechARP T-shirt I was wearing and told him, "Look at this shirt, I know about IT stuff okay". Then I pulled out my shorter VGA cable from my bag and connected it to the LCD screen, it output 1080 straight away, he was stunt.

So upon me reading the labels etc, I realized that the VGA cable is labelled as 3+3, did a Google and it meant it carries 3 cables for colour and another 3 for signals. The full VGA specs has 3+8 cables.

So I need to look for another reputable VGA cable that supports 1080 aka 3+8, anyone know where I can find one? No point asking the shop because they themselves (including me) had no idea of what is 3+3 or 3+8 in the first place.

PS - exact story... I actually bought a Bezo cable
    ... just my random thoughts ...: Bezo VGA Cables Suck!

3 people like this.
  2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

"I pointed him to the TechARP T-shirt I was wearing and told him, "Look at this shirt, I know about IT stuff okay"

LOL!:haha:

Plus rep!!!:)

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah!! +rep!! :thumb: :thumb:

TBH though, I never really thought about it... but I have been running my 20" Dell monitor with a resolution of 1600 x 1200 off my notebook's VGA port for the last 5+ years, so yeah, there should not be any problem for the VGA cable to support 1080p.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to identify cables that will support 1080p since there doesn't appear to be any standard that controls resolution support for VGA cables :

I'm using the standard VGA cable that comes with the Dell monitor, so I think any reasonably good quality VGA cable should be able to handle it. In your case though, you should preferably bring a notebook and test the cable using a monitor there before you purchase it.

4. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

muahaha the sentence is awesome :thumb:

offtopic abit, any advantage using displayport to dvi? since we on the subject cable

5. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

IMO won't have any difference, it's like HDMI vs DVI, both are digital signals. Made up from 1 and 0.

Analysing the pin diagrams of a VGA, some pins carry certain information such as the monitor information and also some pins allow dual way communication, as evident in Samsung Sync Master where we can tune the monitor using the callibration software provided. I guess those china manufacturers are not concerned about these, so just strip away those pins.

Anyway the shop just ordered one 3+8 cable for me and we agreed that I will only take the cable if it can output 1080 on the monitor.

Oh ya, I also realized that the earlier 3+3 cable I bought manage to output 1080 when the shop dude tested on a desktop but it just can't output 1080 on my laptop using the cable :wall:

6. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. That's odd... It sounds like there's a limitation on your notebook's RAMDAC. Are you sure your notebook can support 1080p output on the VGA-out connector?

7. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Yeap, I'm connected to my U2311H on the VGA cable, running at 1920 x 1080 !

8. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Didn't think the notebook would be using a RAMDAC that would not support higher resolution. However, I do know that in the case of my Toshiba Regza HDTV, they used a ADC (analog-to-digital converter) that would only support 1024 x 768.

It's funny if the desktop can output properly using that cable though.

9. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

It's amazing how the Chinese push the limits of each product LOL

10. Adrian Wong

They are never going to be a first rate nation if they keep producing cut-rate stuff. :hand:

11. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

It's amazing how they work around with VESA standard, they can cut the number of signal cables just nice to output 1024 x 768.

Maybe it's cheap but if you run a big conference hall, most of time that will be just nice :clap:

12. Adrian Wong

Are you referring to my Toshiba LCD TV? That's because they specifically used an ADC that only supports that low resolution to differentiate my model from a higher-end model. :nuts:

13. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

That's kinda absurd, I mean how many will actually take the ADC into account as one of a factor whether to buy the lower end or the higher end model

14. Adrian Wong

I know.. but that's what they did. Darn stupid, if you ask me. It's like buying a car only to find out that to differentiate it from a higher-end model, they put in an 8-track player instead of a CD/DVD player... :roll:

15. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

More like buying a car and they put in a chrome gear knob on the higher end model :mrgreen: No one gives a damn.

16. Adrian Wong

Actually, some would - if they intend to pair the TV with a HTPC. Spending that kind of money and finding out that it would only support 1024x768 is sure to make anyone with a HTPC :wall: :wall:

The thing is it wouldn't have cost them more than an extra dollar or two to "upgrade" to a proper ADC. Differentiating models in this sense is just stupid. :wall:

17. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

But anyone who is geeky enough to setup a HTPC would be using HDMI !

18. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. You are right. I guess the VGA port is really more for use with laptops.

19. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

VGA port must die :twisted: :twisted: Although I still use them for my laptop :oops:

Well new laptops usually have HDMI anyway :p

20. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Yes, I wish my company change my laptop, my colleagues getting those with HDMI and DisplayPort !!!! :wall: