Which gaming PC specs should I go for, Intel or AMD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by karhoe, Jul 14, 2009.

1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Hi guys, as title, I am quite indecisive between these two, perhaps you guys can give your comment?

ntel build

Quad Core Q9550 2.83 12MB 1333 RM795
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3L - RM365
    Palit 275 GTX+ 896MB DDR3 RM829
    Kingston DDR2 800 2GB x 2 - RM170
    Western Digital 640GB Caviar Blue - RM200
    Cooler Master CM 690 - RM245
    Silverstone ST56F - RM290
    Pioneer DVDRW - RM85

Total - RM2979

AMD built

AMD Phenom2 955 BE RM865
    Biostar ta790GX A3+ RM410
    SAPPHIRE HD4890 RM750.
    Kingston DDR2 800 2GB x 2 - RM170
    WD 640GB RM200
    Cooler Master CM 690 - RM245
    Silverstone ST56F - RM290
    Pioneer DVDRW - RM85

Price - 3015

Both specs, difference is 3 parts only.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Have you considered i7 platform?

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Yeap, but it seems impossible with the budget

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Do you really need a quad-core processor? Most games don't make use of more than 2 cores. Best to just get a fast (or overclockable) dual-core processor like the Core 2 Duo and use the extra money for more RAM or a faster graphics card or a larger/better monitor.

5. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

for me i wont buy the soon phasing out core 2 quad or core 2 duo system but the argument will always be its still good its still..but thats me i dont buy stuff that will be phasing out soon

anyway AMD build a rather good nowdays..here are some good combination

X4 955BE or X3 720BE
    msi 790FX-GD70 motherboard or biostar TA790GX A3+ (both also DDR3 board)
    4gig DDR3 ram

for other stuff you have selected nicely, the good point of these 2 proc is you can still plug it on DDR2 board and later move to DDR3 ..but its time to move to DDR3 now its since DDR3 is not expensive..even value type 2GB now cost RM110++ a stick ;)

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

c2d, its only good if you do not have any future plans to upgrade it.

7. Chai

Very good point. That's why I would choose the i7 920 if I'm buying a new system today.

8. Adrian Wong

True but is the CPU really the limiting factor for games? Cause he's looking for a gaming PC, so I would focus more on memory and the graphics card.

As far as current games are concerned, even a Core 2 Duo is more than enough. Even a Core 2 Quad is kinda overkill for games. For certain, the Core i7 is overkill, as nice as it really is. :D

With that in mind, I would still recommend a Core 2 Duo system. The money saved can be used to buy a faster graphics card with more memory. Ultimately, delivering a better gaming experience for a longer time.

9. Chai

You can still get a E8400 and overclock to 3.8GHz at stock voltage. It's faster than most Core 2 Quad processors in most games.

But the price remains like it was almost a year ago!

10. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

sadly, at lowyat..very few shops selling E8400 o_O....but then, even the i920 is phasing out soon right (if i can recall >_<)Wait for i5?

11. Adrian Wong

The i920 getting phased out? I think that's very unlikely... :think:

12. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Well, I believe getting a Quad Core will be more practical, it's not gaming only, perhaps video encoding, etc. Spending RM800 on graphics card is already too much, what else to spend 1k on a card LOL.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, my friend decided to go for the Intel specs

13. Chai

I'm always a fan of high speed dual core, far more practical and it will be way faster on most games than slower quad core. It's also much cooler. Unless you are running a lot of encoding that takes advantage of multithreading, quad core is not necessarily faster, it also depends on what application you are running.

But that's me.

14. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

+1 :thumb:

Quad core is sooo overrated.

15. Adrian Wong

Very true. :D

That's why I would still recommend a Core 2 Duo for a gaming system.

A quad core processor would only be ideal for 3D rendering and other applications that actually make use of multiple cores.

16. Chai

Don't forget, most reviews tend to use applications or benchmarks programs to compare multithreading performance.

Part of the reason why i7 is so fast is due to the Maximum Single Core Turbo Frequency. Who says clock speed is not important... :roll: :lol:

17. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

:thumb: fan of high speed dual core too!

:) indeed quaddies are overrated. no point getting them unless you are SURE you're going to take advantage of all the cores.

18. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

the thing is we keep say ok i cant utilise a quaddie whats the point wasting money but no matter what deep in our heart we want it

we are human and human are greedy we want the biggest, the most powerful, the fastest and just about everything if we can spend it..lol!

19. Chai

Correct, that's why I bought the most expensive dual core I can afford. :p

20. eddie_al

eddie_al Newbie

as multi-core goes, seems like the best bang for buck would be the 3-cores...:p

always a sucker for good things that doesn't cost a bomb.