Which GeForce card can I buy to emulate a Quadro card?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by carlmart, Oct 22, 2011.

1. carlmart

carlmart Newbie

Quadro cards are recommended for Avid editing workstations. But they are quite expensive.

My present card (9600GT) can't be made to emulate a Quadro, so I wonder if there is some other GeForce card that can do that and still being on the market.

Any suggestions?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You need to get an NVIDIA GeForce card based on the G80 GPU or older.

3. carlmart

carlmart Newbie

And how do I find out which cards are based on the G80 GPU?

Are there any new ones that are? Is there a list of them?

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I don't think you can buy any new G80 based cards anymore. I believe the first gen 8800GTX (640MB and 896MB models only) was running on G80 chip, or you have to get anything before that.

5. Adrian Wong

6. carlmart

carlmart Newbie

So there are no other recent model cards that can emulate Quadro types anymore?

7. Adrian Wong

Unfortunately, no. :(

However, if you check our Workstation Graphics Card Comparison Guide, you will see that NVIDIA is still using the G80 GPU to power Quadros like the Quadro FX 4600 and the Quadro FX 5600. Those are still pretty powerful workstation cards.

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

emulating the quadro is actually defeating the sole purpose of utilizing a quadro.

Like xeon/opteron, you don't buy the quadro because of its feature, but for the amount of validation work the manufacturers have done to the hardware. the extra amount of money you pay guarantees you correct data. when you ask for 1, you get 1. Not 70/30 1:0. the hardware doesn't have to do the correction.