which is better?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by caz21206, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I heard from some random NVIDIA users, the higher end 7900 series are also dying without any reason, quite a number of them in fact.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

7900GT OC version?

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea but they have a new revision with better power chips (i have chip sinks on mine lol...)

4. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Yup that is just one of them. Even the 7900GTO is having such problems too according to what they told me.

5. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

It's unfair to say whether Ati or nVidia is better. nVidia may out perform Ati in the high-end range, but Ati still has better cards than nVidia when it comes to some lower range of cards. Comparisons are relative to a user's priority (price, performance, compatibility....). When comparing cards from the 2 companies, certain criterias need to be set. For example which one has better price/performance ratio, the range of cards that the user can afford, the type of system the user is using...
    nVidia is currently at the top with their G80 series, but Ati is close behind with the R600. After that nVidia may introduce somethign new to beat Ati.... What i'm trying to say is Ati and nVidia will take turns to be at the top, for as long as they continue to compete...

6. Chai

Yup, of course. But Nvidia seemed to be dominating the market right now, with cards like 7300GT, 7600GT, 7900GS and 7950GT.

7. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

This may no longer be true when Ati releases the R600.... Can't wait to see its POWER!!!

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I agree :mrgreen:

9. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Ya, all reports r saying that R600 is currently stronger than anything else.

10. Chai

If R600 is slower than G80 few months after the release of G80, I don't know what to say. :p

11. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

According 2 specs, the R600 seems 2 be more powerful than the G80, but we know that, specs r just that,specs.We'll have to wait for the real world application efficiency of R600.

12. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

It may be more powerful on paper, but it's pointless until it's released for sale.

GPU companies have new or updated product cycles almost every 6 months. If ATI don't release the R600 soon, the next NVIDIA product cycle might nullify even that theoretical advantage. :think:

13. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Ya, Nvidia is trying something at their lab now to beat the R600.I'll certainly look out for the real world performance differences b2in the two.

14. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

Ati has a 3-card Crossfire setup, 2 cards for graphics rendering and 1 for physics calculations. 3 CARDS!!! Who can beat that!!

15. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

NVIDIA may trump that. The GeForce 8800 GTX/GTS can directly process physics (http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=358&pgno=3).

So, instead of buying a dedicated physics card, you can just do physics on a single or two GeForce 8800 cards.

16. Chai

I thought the physics card are actually the normal X1900 cards?

17. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

18. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

nope. impossible.
    NV is simply too strong for the moment being.
    R600 can be a champ, still ATI has already lost out too much, particularly in the APEC region.

19. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

hey fan boy, do u know there is hardly any game that can take advantage of ATI who-can-beat-that physics KAKULATOR?

20. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Have nebody used the Asus Physics card yet ? Some games have also started to support the Physics card.