Which Motherboard ?

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Prashiyer, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Prashiyer

Prashiyer Newbie

I am thinking about upgrading and I am in a bit of trouble with which one to choose. I mean there are so many options.
    So I thought you guys can help me out on this. The only requirement I want is that it should have either SLI or X-Fire support.

Please do tell me the manufacturer as well because that is the biggest problem. The vendor of the mobo. My budget for the motherboard is not more than 3500 to 4000 INR.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

May I know why must you have SLI or Crossfire support?

3. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm,to me, it really depends on if you want to SLI (2xNvidia graphic cards) or CrossFire (2xATI cards) but will you really crossfire?and also, you need to provide us with more information like are you gonna overclock the processor and etc and not to mention, your current setup.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The budget of INR 4000 is roughly RM 400 or USD 115.

IMHO, unless you are really sure you want to use more than one graphics card RIGHT AWAY, there's no need to worry about SLI/CrossFire. If you are worried about "future upgrades", 99% of the time, you will find that it's cheaper to just buy a new graphics card instead of buying an older, second card just to link in SLI/CrossFire mode.

5. Chai

That's definitely not enough money to buy a good board, let alone an SLI/Crossfire board.

6. Adrian Wong

Yeah, plus PC hardware is generally more expensive over in India.

7. Prashiyer

Prashiyer Newbie

Well I can get motherboards at this rate. I want crossfire or Sli because i was thinking about buying two cards. I don't know right now but I want to make sure the motherboard lasts for at least 2 years before I upgrade.

I know about Intel mobos for example
    975 costs around 5500 and 965 costs 4700 or something.

But I do not know about the graphics card support. The point is I have never had any GPU till date and have not seen one as well but I love games and I am trying to get a good PC so that I can take some time off and play some new games. So I want something which is next gen. I just want something new and which has some advanced features.

8. Chai

If you really insist on getting a dual GPU solution, just get 4870X2, and stop worrying about SLI support.

9. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

SLi/Crossfire systems are very demanding. It's recommended to buy a more slightly powerful card than just two weaker cards combined. :)

Like others said, if you need a dual-GPU solution in a quicker way, the 4870x2 will actually help and save money in the long run.

10. Prashiyer

Prashiyer Newbie

Ok. What you guys suggest is getting a motherboard which supports one card and upgrade to just a new motherboard whenever necessary.
    It seems to be a nice idea and after you guys gave me the picture I think it does not matter if I have SLI support or not.
    Now just tell me which motherboard and card would work great and allow me to play crysis,bioshock and halo.
    Thanks for all your opinions.

11. Adrian Wong

No, frankly, unless you can afford two of the best graphics cards right now (AND have a very large monitor to boot), there's really no use to go SLI or CrossFire. SLI/CrossFire is only useful for systems that require more graphics processing power than a single card is capable of.

In other words, it's better to buy a single, FAST graphics cards than two slower graphics cards just to run them in SLI/CrossFire mode.

If you get an Intel 4 or 5 series motherboard (e.g P45, X48, X58), it comes with CrossFire support by default. Some even support SLI too. But again, this is a moot point. Unless you really require so much graphics processing power than no single card can hack it, there's no need for CrossFire or SLI.

Anyway, like Chai said, you can just get the dual-GPU 4870 X2. You do not have to worry about SLI/CrossFire. :mrgreen:

12. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

:thumb:

few criteria of when SLI / CF comes into the setup

1. you already have SLI / CF capable board and just want to add another card
    2. you already have the best card but want more out of it.

or else, like what Adrian said - it's pointless!

personally, I find SLI/CFing mid/low range cards are pointless. I think 9600GT / HD4850 are a decent minimum choice for SLI / CF cards but certainly going for single card option like GTX260 / HD4870 would actually provide much better performance boost, considering the fact that games scale very differently on SLI / CF.

13. Prashiyer

Prashiyer Newbie

Thanks for the opinions and I think I will take your point and go for a motherboard without Xfire support. But please tell me which one would be economical and will give stable and good performance.
    What I do on my pc is play games and do web design using Photoshop and Dreamweaver. Please advice on which would be a good motherboard other than 945 and which company should be good enough. Sorry for the constant posts but I do not want to make a mistake this time around.

14. Adrian Wong

Actually, any Intel P35 motherboard should offer you good performance at a decent price. Just pair it up with an Intel Core 2 processor and a reasonably fast graphics card and you are good to go! :thumb:

Remember, it all depends on your budget. :)

15. Chai

I don't think you can buy any P35 now. P45 is widely available.

16. Adrian Wong

It's possible in India. When I was there, they still sold new kits of the really old stuff.

17. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

G31 also can. :D if one wants really cheap.

18. Prashiyer

Prashiyer Newbie

LOL

Well thanks guys I guess I am good to go now. Thanks for the help and will check out the prices and see what I can do.

19. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

cool then. do update us from time to time and post at new toy bragging thread :p

20. jolly

jolly Newbie

actually you did not mention about your cpu. if you buying think you want to buy low end proccessor, i will recommended that you buy amd Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (125W). if you want to buy high end processor intel core 2 duo or intel quad core processor according to the recent article i read. also that you did not tell about how much ram you want to use wheather you want to use DDR2 or DDR3 because the motherboard some need support DDR3 and some cannot.In my opinion, if i am you i will buy amd Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (125W), ram KVR800D2N5 PC 6400 DDR2 800 and set it to dual channel, motherboard Abit A-S78H that can use to support high end graphic card because such motherboard have PCIe 2.0 slot which can support current high end graphic card,and i will buy graphic card when i really need a graphic card for certain game. my idea of buying a PC is a cheap PC that are not out date and can support a lot of game. because if you buy high end PC it will cost you a lot and after a few years, your PC still will out date. if you buy cheap PC you can save money that you can use to buy another PC that support other future games.