which one is better...

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by mista_haqeem, Aug 9, 2006.

1. mista_haqeem

mista_haqeem Newbie

what type of chipset is better for motherboard?

a) VIA
    b) Sis
    c) Intel
    d) NVidia
    e) ATi-Radeon

is there any other chipset for motherboard?

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It kinda depends on what platform you're using... :D But I don't like VIA and SiS... :p

3. mista_haqeem

mista_haqeem Newbie

i need more info about SLI mobo chipset...(for intel cpu's)

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Then its pretty clear cut you need a NVIDIA chipset... :p

5. mista_haqeem

mista_haqeem Newbie

yeah...!
    maybe...
    i just thinking of buying SLi mobo for my new intel conroe cpu ...
    i don't think there is already a SLI mobo than can support conroe...
    hmmm...

6. HalfHuman

HalfHuman Newbie

nvidia made nforce4 for intel that suppoorts sli.
    intel made 975 if i don't mistake that at last supports sli.
    now a personal oppinion: sli is bullshit!! most barely afford one video card and they are making this monstrosities with 2, 3 or f4 video cards. and between u and i if u diddn't knew 2 vid card does not double performance, not even close. if u have so much money then give me some.:nuts:

to answer to the first question:
    nvidia is clearly the best in making chipsets for both ati and amd. nvidia had much to do with ati performance, offering very good quality chipsets from the begining.
    ati just made it's couple of chipsets that are very fine but they lack the support and maturity that nvidia has but they pack quite a punch.
    intel was, is and will be at least for a while a good chipset producer. though not as efficient and performant as nvidia or ati but quite stable. they have lots of experience but they have been slaking quite for a while making that netburst bastard.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  7. mista_haqeem

mista_haqeem Newbie

yeah...i've already knew about that lol
    SLI is a waste....
    what do you mean by does not double performance?
    then why nVidia an ATi gone out with SLI and CF technology?
    any useful link that support your words?
    let say if i use those SLI mobo with 2 nice good gfx card...
    maybe 2 piece of 7800gt card...
    does the performance increase maybe about 30-40 percent?

better upgradding my other rig then give u those money lol...

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

9. fguerro

fguerro Newbie

Wow, what is your definition of "better?" VIA and SiS chipsets typically cost much less than the others which usually translates into less expensive mobos. Intel based boards are typically rock-solid solutions (reliability/stability) but typically more expensive. Nvidia and ATI based solutions offer many of the features as Intel chipsets. In fact, the newly released Nvidia 680i chipset has many features (including higher OC potential) than the Intel 975x. Although stay tuned for the rumored ATI based chipset for Intel cpus. It's predicted to give the 680i a run for it's money in the performance and OC departments. :clap:

10. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

SLI can nearly double ur Graphix performance.There r 4chipsets that currenty support SLI with Conroe.

1. NVIDIA® nForce® 680i SLI™ :- supports Qual SLI with Intel Quad core CPU.

Model :- Asus P5N32-E SLI & Asus Striker Extreme.

2. NVIDIA® nForce® 650i SLI™ :- Supports normal SLI with Intel Quad Core CPU.

Model :- Asus P5N-E SLI.

3. NVIDIA® nForce® 590 SLI™ :- supports Qual SLI with Intel Dual core CPU.

Model :- Asus P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP

4. NVIDIA® nForce 570 SLI™ :- Supports Dual core & SLI

Model:- Asus P5NSLI.

So, u know what Mobo will u buy.If u don't have ne plan 2 upgrade to the Intel Quad Core CPU,then go 4
    the Asus P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP based on NVIDIA® nForce® 590 SLI™.

If u think u'll upgrade 2 the Quad Core CPU,then buy ne mobo based on NVIDIA® nForce® 680i SLI™ listed above.If ur money doesn't permit 4 the nForce® 680i ,then go 4 the Asus P5N-E SLI based on NVIDIA® nForce® 650i SLI™.

In case,u don't require SLI,then go 4 Intel's 975x.Intel's 975 supports the whole new Intel CPUs from P4 to Quad core (including Conroe obviously).

u can check out the comparison b2in the four best 975 boards out there in the market here.

" http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/11/four_975x_motherboards_for_core_2_duo/index.html ".

Sorry Adrian, I had to post another Toms link,but believe me this is the best 975x comparison out there.

Hope these will help u buying ur mobo.

11. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

nvidia and intel seems to be the top maker now.

the rest are jsut hanging in there. I do command VIA and SiS for trying.

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Best? Comparing with some of the older 975X chipsets? There's no Intel D975XBX2, Abit AW9D-MAX in the roundup, which is arguably one of the popular 975X chipsets today.

13. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

The problem is, 975x doesn't support 32X SLI like the Nvidia 32x SLI boards.It only supports one 16x or two 8x PCI-E cards.Even R600 doesn't support the 32x SLI.So, I would suggest everyone that if u wanna buy a dual graphicx system ,stick to SLI coz Crosshair doesn't support the 32x PCI-E data bus.

14. Chai

There's no performance difference between 32x and 16x, because the cards are not able to utilise the bandwidth. Honestly, that's the last thing I'm worried about, and it's very unlikely for me to run Crossfire anyway.

15. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

That means putting two 16x PCI-E cards in a mobo is equal to putting two 8x cards in the same mobo ? Then what's the use of Nvidia Nforce 590 SLI over the Nforce 570 SLI coz the 590 supports 32x SLI while 570 supports 16x.

16. Chai

Do you know what's the purpose of marketing?

17. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

The 32x and the 16x are actually theoretical speeds - the actual bandwidth might be lesser than that.

18. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If PCIe speed is so important for graphics, then a 16x Radeon X1300 should beat a GeForce 8800 GTX running at PCIe 8x, right? :D

19. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Nope, I'm not saying that we will be getting exactly 16x or 32x from those things & yea this is probably a marketing strategy but it's about future proofing. By the way I think, interface speed is also important coz that PCI-E is faster than AGP coz it does have an faster interface than AGP. Isn't it so ?

And Adrian , how can u compare a X1300 with a 8800 GTX ?
    I'm talking about the same cards using in different setup.Do u think that using two PCI-E cards in x16 , x16 mode has the same bandwidth as the setup based on x8 , x8 mode ?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  20. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

It's to illustrate the effect of PCIe speed on graphics processing. As you can see, it's definitely not as important as the GPU. But of course, companies would prefer you to think otherwise. :D

PCIe Bandwidth is PCIe bandwidth. Most of the work gets done on the graphics card, not through the PCIe bus. PCIe x16 may theoretically have twice as much bandwidth than PCIe x8, but what kind of performance boost in graphics do you think we will see with PCIe x16 over PCIe x8?