why does my computer make a horrible sound on bootup?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by shedokan, May 13, 2008.

1. shedokan

shedokan Newbie

when I bootup my computer I hear a horrible sound for about a minute and then everything is alright.
    and my computer takes 3-4 minutes to boot!

is there a way to fix these problems or I need to buy a new motherboard.

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Please provide more information on your system and how long has this been happening ? :think:

3. Midicow

Midicow Newbie

First off, always remember to unplug computer components you mess with, and ground yourself to a conductive metal. Also make sure not to put your components on surfaces that can potentially cause damage, and to never wear wool or other shock-conductive footwear.. hehe

Before this, make sure you have extra thermal paste you can re-apply to your heatsink and anything else you manage to take apart that uses it.

Take your heatsink off and use a can of air on it outside, throughly, then take your psu out of your computer (do not take it apart unless you lack a warranty on it!) and clean that out with a can of air.. On the psu if you do take it apart to clean it, any weird looking gunk is probably an insulating glue or some other part of the psu (Ie: normal.)

Finally repeat this with your video cards, then any other things in your computer that have a fan.

Make sure to blow some air under the exposed parts of the fans (if there are any)

Don't dis-assemble contained components (hard drives, psus, video cards, etc) apart unless you (all) A. Know how to put it together 100%, B. Don't have a warranty on it (or don't mind), and C. have a neutral, static-free surface to place the parts on.

This assumes that most of the moving parts in your desktop (if its a desktop) are fans.

If you have liquid cooling, unnecessary noise may be a result of a kink, air bubbles, a dying reserator/pump, or a fan in need of cleaning on the reserator. In all fairness, if its a liquid cooling and you put it together yourself, and it makes noise like that, then you need to try taking it apart and re-constructing it via the manual that came with it.

Also, Noise like that can be caused by your hard drive or other moving drives (like optical drives), you can try taking your drive
    out if you have enough length on the power and sata/ide cables, and placing the drive on a flat, shock-neutral surface.

Observing to see if it makes the noise, you may or may not find the cause that way.

If you took your heatsink off, now would be a good time to clean the surface with a cloth and maybe some arctic cooling cleaner (not especially needed, but nice), And have a nice re-application.
    Same with any other heatsink, video or otherwise.

Finally if you missed them, maybe your south bridge/north bridge on your motherboard have a fan, try cleaning that.

The key to this is localizing the noise, if you can figure out what is generating it, then you can figure out how to fix it.. usually either by cleaning, tinkering, or replacing.

If you cannot localize the noise, you're not trying hard enough :D.

ALSO, if the noise is electronic and not mechanical, it may be an old (pre 2004) PSU dying and emitting a weird high pitched electronic noise, if this is the case, immediately look into replacement.. Could potentially fry your components.

If the noise is coming from the PC speaker or other speakers, there may be a grounding problem.

I can't think of anything else right now, need more specifics.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  4. shedokan

shedokan Newbie

thanks for the giant reply, I will try your suggestions right when I will get the thermal paste and can of air.
    and I think it might be coming from the little fan.

and I have a one core desktop.
    here is information from cpu-z:

Processor(s)
    Number of processors 1
    Number of cores 1 per processor
    Number of threads 2 per processor
    Name Intel Pentium 4 640
    Code Name Prescott
    Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
    Package Socket 775 LGA
    Family/Model/Stepping F.4.A
    Extended Family/Model F.4
    Core Stepping R0
    Technology 90 nm
    Core Speed 2394.1 MHz
    Multiplier x Bus speed 12.0 x 199.5 MHz
    Rated Bus speed 798.0 MHz
    Stock frequency 3200 MHz
    Instruction sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T
    L1 Data cache (per processor) 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    Trace cache (per processor) 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
    L2 cache (per processor) 2048 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    Chipset & Memory
    Northbridge VIA P4M890 rev. 00
    Southbridge VIA VT8237A rev. 00
    Graphic Interface PCI-Express
    PCI-E Link Width x16
    PCI-E Max Link Width x16
    Memory Type DDR2
    Memory Size 512 MBytes
    Memory Frequency 266.0 MHz (3:4)
    DRAM Interleave 4-way
    CAS# Latency (tCL) 4.0 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 4 clocks
    RAS# Precharge (tRP) 4 clocks
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 12 clocks
    Command Rate (CR) 2T
    System
    System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    System Name 7255
    System S/N To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Mainboard Vendor Micro-Star
    Mainboard Model MS-7255
    BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
    BIOS Version V1.3
    BIOS Date 01/29/2008
    Memory SPD
    Module 1 DDR2, PC2-4300 (266 MHz), 512 MBytes, unknown brand
    Software
    Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
    DirectX Version 9.0c

5. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

is it a beeping sound from the motherboard?

6. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Probably ur bios fan:p :p :p

7. shedokan

shedokan Newbie

I know what's the problem! it's the hard disc.
    I got a lot of S.M.A.R.T notificatiopns on my hard disc situation.

and I don't hear beeping sounds but like trrrr...

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  8. Mac Daddy

Could be your HD it will spin first then your CD/DVD drive will read on startup.

What models of HD and CD/DVD ROM do you have ? And what type of S.M.A.R.T notifications are you getting ?

9. shedokan

shedokan Newbie

I don't know my models of HD and CD/DVD ROM.
    I am getting from time to time messages like:
    "hard disc situation:bad. you need to backup and replace. press F1 to continue"

10. Mac Daddy

That doesn't sound good .... go to start/control panel/system/device manager and open the disk drives tab it should list the model numbers of your drives.

11. shedokan

shedokan Newbie

WDC WD1600JB-00REA0

12. Midicow

Midicow Newbie

Http://www.newegg.com

Your motherboard is probably compatable with many of the 65nm processors (E6xxx and below)

(edit: sorry had to quit before I finished what I was gonna post)

What I was also going to add was that if you ever end up upgrading things, most cpus that aren't oem come with a stock fan that is decent, an after market one would be better though.

Newegg also has decently cheap hard drives

look for segates, hitachi, or such, and ditch western digital, in my opinion.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  13. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Sounds like your hard drive is dying. I would recommend replacing it and transferring your data over to the new hard drive ASAP.

14. Midicow

Midicow Newbie

you have a bios fan?

15. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I think he meant the motherboard fan.

16. shedokan

shedokan Newbie

thank for all the help guys!
    I think I'm going to replace the hard drive :) .

and I meant the bios fan but now I understand the problem.

17. Mac Daddy

I think that is a good plan keep us posted :)

18. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

How an HDD can die... never experienced this XD rofl...

19. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think he meant fans connected to the motherboard, then the BIOS beep when detected no fan or low fan speed.

20. Mac Daddy

Neither have I Bro thats why I asked him to check the manufacturer and model. I thought perhaps it didn't support S.M.A.R.T. but it does and thats selected in BIOS :think: