Widescreen LCD versus Normal size

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Wurn, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Even if RTM starts broadcasting HD, I will still use 4:3 until Astro uses HD. I will not sacrifice programs shown on Astro over the RTM's image quality... :shifty:

2. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

btw, where's klang valley? near KL right? wonder sillypore can recieve or not?? :p :p

3. Terminator

Terminator Newbie

Yes, I agree with you guys. It is going to take a long period of time to migrate from the 4X3 format to the 16X9 one. And, it will take even longer for high definiton programing to get broadcast more commonly here in the USA.:wall: A lot of that has to do with the fact that Hollywood is doing everything it can to help protect all it's movies and content with DRM and HDCP to help fight illegal copying. Don't get me wrong. I HATE DRM and HDCP:evil: :wall: This is slowing the adoption of HDTV in this country. And, it will continue to do so untill Hollywood gets bit in the A** from it and realizes that DRM and HDCP will hurt the movie and content industries more than it will help it.:cry: The other thing that is slowing the adoption of widescreen and hdtv is that cable and satellight companies (like Dish Network and Direct Tv) in this country just dont have the bandwidth to switch their 100's of channels they have into high defintion ones at this time.:whistle: But yeah, the only reason I got on the widescreen bandwagon was because my old Sony 20inch was 5yrs old and looked like crap. And, CRT PC monitor availability is really going down the tubes here with LCD's taking over the market big time. And, to future proof my monitor so I see could see all of the current and future widescreen content properly.:beer:. It was time for something really nice:thumb: Verygood upgrade!!!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  4. Wurn

Wurn Newbie

widescreen versus...

ok so there seems to be a difference of opinions about normal and widescreen lcd's

supose at the end of the day going from my current 17" to 19" is a improvement in its own right. whether its widescreen or 4:3 :think:

5. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

i have a laptop running at 1280x800 - which is definitely wider than my 1024x768 usual setup - but still i have this preference for 4:3 setup over 16:9

sure, i like 16:9 for viewing shows. i love watching them in letterbox format - but this just doesn't work for me when i do webdesign and other stuff.

even when running at 1600x1200 - i like the space, but i don't like that my mouse has to travel really far from 1 end to another - and i don't like to use mouse acceleration either. :D

so yeah - it's down to individual preference. i don't wish to see 4:3 monitors die off either. :D

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Most of us have been living thru the 4:3 era. You won't go wrong with either 4:3 or 16:10, unless your main purpose of the LCD is for entertainment.

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, it's really good for gaming too, especially for FPS. Kinda simulates the actual view of a battlefield through our eyes. :thumb: