Windows 7 installation BSOD

Discussion in 'General Software' started by karhoe, Aug 28, 2009.

1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Guys, I just got back my motherboard from RMA, when I tried to boot (existing installation is windows 7 64bit), it went into BSOD. I thought the motherboard is of a newer revision, so I tried to reformat, I still ended up with the same error.

The BSOD error is related to atikmdag.sys . I googled it up and it's related to ATI drivers, they suggested to install new driver but how I am supposed to do so when I can't even install the OS?

The BSOD appear right after installation, after setting up the registry.

Before this, before my motherboard died, I could install 7 (64bit) without any BSOD.

The motherboard being mentioned is Gigabyte MA78GM-S2H

Any solution?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  2. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Reset bios to default settings. Same error every time? Also what bios version is installed?
    You only use the onboard video?

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. When exactly does it BSOD? After installation and when it tries to boot up for the first time?

BTW, check and see if the motherboard BIOS is up to date.

You can also try a different graphics card, preferably not an ATI Radeon. Just to get Win 7 running first.

4. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Yes, I only have onboard video.

Already updated to the latest BIOS version from the website, already cleared CMOS

5. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Right after the last step in installation of Windows 7 - completing installation

6. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I tried to download the latest driver, dug for the ATIKMDAG.SYS file and dumped it into the drivers folder.

Now I dont get that BSOD error anymore, but when I moved on to the next step, I got "the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. To install windows, click ok to restart the computer"

and this has been repeating for times, omg

7. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Did you enable APIC and ACPI in the BIOS?

It looks like a driver problem but it could also be an IRQ conflict if you did not enable APIC and ACPI.

8. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I'm installing Vista now, I'll check it after the installation and if indeed the ACPI and ACPI is not enable, I'll enable them.

Under which BIOS setting page does it appear?

9. Adrian Wong

Oh, you are reverting to Vista?

I can't remember exactly. They should be grouped together with the IRQ settings (system resources).

10. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I had to, I already spent 6 hours trying to get 7 into the PC, it was working so well before the motherboard died, I got a new motherboard on the spot, same model, same revision (but some color changes on the heatsink holder, could indicate some changes albeit same revision).

Normally, popping everything back and it should work, I was instead greeted by a BSOD, and then I formatted the entire hard disk, tried various ways, kept getting the same BSOD which appears right after installation.

I went to IRQ setting, the options I had is only to assign IRQ to PCI1 and PCI2

11. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I had to, I already spent 6 hours trying to get 7 into the PC, it was working so well before the motherboard died, I got a new motherboard on the spot, same model, same revision (but some color changes on the heatsink holder, could indicate some changes albeit same revision).

Normally, popping everything back and it should work, I was instead greeted by a BSOD, and then I formatted the entire hard disk, tried various ways, kept getting the same BSOD which appears right after installation.

I went to IRQ setting, the options I had is only to assign IRQ to PCI1 and PCI2

12. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Try to boot from a disc with Hiren tools on it. It has an option to run a miniXP version. Do some hardware test with the tools from the disc.

13. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Well, I doubt this is hardware issue but the driver issue, probably the bundled ATI driver on Windows 7 64 bit.

I'm getting my hands on a 32bit Windows 7 tomorow and I strongly believe the same problem would not repeat. I really do hope because 6 hours have been wasted just like that today, not including the time I took to RMA the motherboard and buy new thermal paste

14. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Can you post a log of the crash?

15. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I tried to install back Vista, it went fine...until I installed Catalyst, then the SAME BSOD came back, what's happening now?

Where do I find the log?

16. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Close I can get is the minidump file, don't know how to get BSOD log

Attached Files:

17. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

It should be found in the Application or System via Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer. I'm looking right now on dmp.

18. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I went there, but didn't know which is BSOD, so I posted the dump file.

But if the same thing were to happen with Windows Vista, certainly it's hardware issue already, though I would be glad if there are solutions

19. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

The dmp is from the 32 or the 64bit version?

20. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

I'm sorry but I'll have to take a break, I'm half asleep and I can't go on, just had an excellent meal and I must make my daily siesta :) Meanwhile please check for Gigabyte MA78GM-S2H BIOS options with different configurations. I still think it's something related to the BIOS configuration of the onboard videocard or maybe try to do a BIOS downgrade. BBL, 10x