Windows 8.1 Update 1

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Chai, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Anyone using it now?

Finally MSFT realized that there are tons of non-tablet users and started improving desktop usage. Finally I can close a Modern UI app with the X button.

There are some minor improvements with more right click options on live tiles, power button/search at the Start screen.

Once they implement a Start menu, or allowing full time Desktop mode, I will upgrade. :mrgreen:

2. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Ive been using Win 8 for more than a year and I liek the new start screen alot. i find it to be pretty good and i cant go back to tiny start menu now :p the profile syncing feature is handy too, and it has hyper V support :mrgreen:

i dont use metro apps so cant comment much on that. Am on the desktop all the time. Apart from having to do that extra click to launch the desktop view, I just dont understand why many find it so hard to "stay" in desktop mode.

3. Chai

Well, it is quite simple. Having a small start menu means I don't need to hover around the screen just to look for the software that I'm using. I'm a mouse user, not a touchscreen user.

I'm not a heavy user, so I only have 5 frequently used software on my start menu, and it occupies less than 1/8 of the screen. This is why I don't even want to leave the desktop mode. Imagine the need of going to each corner of the screen just to switch program, click on the start button etc.

I also don't need to launch a simple background software like Speedfan, Skype and block my VLC or browser view with a full screen Start Menu.

I'm also a very frequent remote desktop user, and good luck trying to reach the edge of the screen without fullscreen mode.

I truly pity the Windows Server 2012 server admins, 99% of the time, they are supporting it remotely...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  4. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

I really miss the old start button. But I get by. Personally I like the power button at the metro screen now, you have no idea how many times I press the "Start" button whenever I want to shutdown, old habits can't die.

Support Windows 2012 take some getting used to as well. Now I use the search function more.

5. Chai

Update 1 is a big improvement in that area. Many different ways to shutdown now.

Since 8.1, right click on start button has a lot of useful functions too. I don't mind if they make it left click too.

I don't know about you guys, but I need to support 5 different OSes, and that doesn't include Win 8. To get used to 6 different OSes, and Win8 being so different from even Linux distro, it is really PITA.

I'm just wondering, why do us end users need to worry about trying to stay in Desktop mode? Even the early build has it. There are many workarounds like Classic Shell. But then again, why bother when Win 7 still works very well.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Exactly. After playing around with Windows 8, I just decided to keep Windows 7 for the work laptop. It's not like I have any Metro apps or a touchscreen to use.

7. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

I updated my Thinkpad Tablet 2, but didn't really notice much difference. I guess the update was meant more for desktops and notebooks than tablets.

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Well our screens are so huge, why must we limit our search in a tiny little menu? On Win8, I get to "see" much more. it's a relief. A breath of fresh air. :shifty: :shifty: Win8 has very good multi monitor support too.

one reason why Win8 experience sucks, is because the PC makers cant seem to get the trackpad right. Imagine a Win8 machine that has a MBP/MBA's trackpad.

The reason MS removed the start menu, is because the data suggested that majority of the users hardly click on the start menu. In a way, it's true. so often my co asked me "don't we have iTunes/Chrome?". Yes, we do. You can find it in the program menu. :wall: :wall: :wall:

i still think the noise about win8 start menu is a withdrawal syndrome :shifty: :shifty:

9. Chai

I'm not sure which era your col is from, but almost all corporate users are still using win xp and win 7 which still relies on start menu. This is not my personal preference, it is still the only way to launch software unless you have created shortcuts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

10. I update windows 8.1 on my desktop, I have no issues and installation took about half hour. I do admit that it works way better with mouse and Keyboard. Closing apps is simple now. I pinned the store apps on the taskbar and its great so I don't have to guess what’s running.