Windows 8 and hidden SSIDs

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by atwl77, Jul 14, 2013.

1. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

So I just encountered the problem on a new Asus Vivitab Smart, and searching on Google this appears to be "a thing" with win8.

Here is one such discussion with more info on the matter:
    Windows 8: Hidden wireless networks will not reconnect on - Microsoft Community

Has anyone with this issue managed to permanently solve the problem without resorting to annoying steps on each restart or wakeup?

Has anyone with this issue tried win 8.1 preview to see if it has been addressed?

And finally, what is everyone's thoughts on hidden SSIDs anyway? Microsoft seems to think they're evil.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Looks like a bug. Maybe it will be solved by Windows 8.1. After all, Windows 7 doesn't have this issue.

I personally won't bother to hide the SSID because you can easily detect "hidden" SSIDs. There are many utilities and apps that allow you to do that, so there's really no security value in hiding the SSID.

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I've been having this problem on my Redhat too.

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Well, I do hide the SSID broadcast of my mobile hotspot. But not for the home. like adrian said, not worth the trouble for a permanent wireless hotspot.