Windows memory problem (another one)

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Majormaggot, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

Windows memory problem (Solved)

Ok, first, Merry christmas and Happy New year. I know i'm a lil late but thats just how I roll.

So I haven't been around the tech world for a while, and have recently discovered that ram is pretty cheap. So for my yearly upgrade I decided that I'll up the memory from 2 gigs to 4 gigs (previously had 4 sticks of 512 mb Corsair xms twinx ddr 2 667 ram, put in 2 sticks of 2 GB ddr2 800 mhz twinx memory). After installing the memory, bios report that I only had 2096mb of mem. So i popped back in bios and enabled the memory remap setting and restarted. Now it shows the full 4096 mb of memory at post. Perfect i thought, but when i go into windows it still shows only 2096 of memory. So i read somewhere that b/c of the way windows maps the memory you need to reinstall the os once you enable the remap option in bios. Sooooo, I backup my stuff, threw in the windows xp cd (its actually windows media center 2005, but it seems all the same to me.... and NO I will not upgrade to vista no matter how much pay me). I also redid my raid setup to get some more space for my c: drive. After installing windows it still shows only 2.00 gb of ram in My computer properties, 2096148 k of available physical memory in task manager. If I load up system information it say theres 4,096 mb of Total physical memory. And the same in cpu-z.

So my question is, wtf? am I missing a setting, or is that just how windows recognizes the memory?

heres my system specs:

intel e2160 at 3.1 ghz
    asus p5w dh deluxe
    corsair xms twinx ddr 2 800 mhz memory (dual channel)
    nvidia 8800gt
    huppagge tv tuner card
    2x 400 gb seagates in raid 0
    1x 250 WD hdd
    1x 120 WD hdd
    creative xtream music
    enermax galaxy 850 psu

this really wouldn't bother me, but the fact that i bought 4 gigs of memory and only seem to be able to use half of it is nagging at the back of my head.

thanks for all your help.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  2. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  3. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

I have never seen a 32-bit OS display 4GB RAM as only 2, it's usually 2.5GB or 3.25GB :?

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Weird problem. Have you tried using a different slot?

5. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

what about trying one 2GB and one 512MB to see if it recognizes 2.5GB on My Computer?

6. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

As stated above 32 bit OS will only use 3.25GB. :confused: Another note, I do not see any DDR2 800 2GB supported for this mainboard.
    AsusTek P5W 20DH Deluxe
    I did see that the BIOS rev 2004 had expanded memory support, what BIOS rev is yours? :think:

Corsair says the memory is OK on that mobo.... :confused:
    Welcome to Corsair :: Memory Configurator

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  7. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

Ok, so I moved the ram to one bank, running them in single channel. Still having the same problem. So I put in one of the old 667 mhz ram and bios showed 4600 mb of ram, but windows still said 2096 mb. So I pulled out everything and put back just the two 2Gb memory sticks in dual channel setup, but this time I removed my WinTV TV Tuner card. Loaded windows, and now shows 3144mb of available memory. So the culprit was the tv tuner card.....now i'm pretty sure if i pull the sound card it'll will show around 3200 or 3400 mb of free memory.

Learn something new everyday :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your help by the way!!