Windows Vista Beta 2 is public!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by acedriver, Jun 8, 2006.

1. acedriver

acedriver Just Started

2. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yup, yup... Microsoft Office 2007, Microsoft Groove, One Note, etc. Beta 2 are public too. I like the new MS Word. :thumb: Although the ribbon takes more space but it's very convenient. Real-live update, can even change lowercase to uppercase, each 1st word uppercase, etc. Many nice new stuffs... but takes up lotsa memory... :faint: I open one excel, one word and one powerpoint, my laptop crawls... :haha:

3. pfelelep

pfelelep Newbie

does it means that any old computer (older than 4 years for eg) wouldn't handle the new Office?

...would be really stupid from Microsoft not to think about that. :nuts:

Or does they want to force buisness enterprises to change their computer parc to High-powered with lots of Ram to switch to the new Office?

I though only GAMES forces you to buy a more powerful machine, or new OS (such as vista or OS X Tiger), but for everyday apps??? :|

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

ram will get cheaper

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  5. pfelelep

pfelelep Newbie

yes.

6. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

Servers appear overloaded, but thankfully MS emails you your key and direct link.

Also: If you refresh the product key page, it will generate up to two product keys for you, which can be used to install on ten systems each.

7. notyou

notyou Newbie

Is this a times usage deal? I just downloaded the 32 & 64 bit versions. I'm interested in trying them but don't want to have to reformat in a month.

8. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Time-limited software
    Windows Vista Beta 2 (and RC1) is time-limited, pre-release software that will expire on June 1, 2007.

:p .. dont want~~~ :mrgreen:

9. redness

redness Newbie

So far how many of u guys r running vista?
    the important question for me is how well does game perform on vista and any changes on internet connectivity.

10. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

Does OS effects the internet connectivity?

11. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

That's a pretty broad question, but I will do my best to lend my OT insight.

The general answer is NO, Internet access is still intact. If you are running a very old O/S such as Windows 3.x or 95, you aren't going to be able to use some web enabled features such as Java, Shockwave, Flash, or PDF viewing. However, Internet (ports 1-65535) connectivity is still there. Web pages and their features depend on browsers, some of which are only supported on the newer operating systems.

Hoped this helped.

12. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I love the transparent 3D windows thingy, it's trendy!! :D

But it takes up WAY too much RAM and too much graphics energy for all that. :shock:

Y'see, for me, it feels so professional to use a DOS command shell prompt and a simple GUI like the ones in the ATM machines. You press once you get it once. Ah, that's just me. I started to use computers when I was 8 (back in '94) and my brother started me out with BASIC. I don't even touch Windows at that time. And when I want to play games I simply press "Exit to DOS",

c:\> CD GAMES

c:\GAMES> CD TETRIS

c:\GAMES\TETRIS> play

(this is just an example.) Wow, I can play it right now. But I just couldn't compare - you click the icon in Windows and it's even much faster that way. :haha: :haha:

13. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I thought MS Office 2007 is time (as in how many times not what's the time now, time :mrgreen: ) limited. But after I activated it online, I can't find the time-limited prompt already. :think:

MS Office 2007 rox0r! :thumb:

14. xinoxide

xinoxide Newbie

im running the vista beta, the 32 bit installation, after quite some time poking around ive gotten all my old programs working on it. and i have noticed an increase in my bandwidth.

on XP ive never seen my download speed break 600KBps, i have an 8Mbit download speed with my current internet connection,with vista ive been downloading off many of the same sites i usually do and im seeing downlaod speeds of 1000-1400, and same for my upload, my ftp server usually maxed out at at 85 KBps, and now im getting a solid and steady 92 KBps upload.

its probably just the vista networking. but is has been an improvement

15. Interesting experiences considering it's still a beta version. :think: I'm gonna give it more time, though. I just re-formatted my HD. I'm too lazy to do it again. :haha:

16. xinoxide

xinoxide Newbie

i just installed it over my XP install, and before vista boots, i can still boot to windows XP without any problems. its been made easy for you to get into your old documents folder, i just dragged my users folder from windows.old into my new users folder, plain and simple and its there, and it still all intact with XP. only regrets is this OS takes like 4 gigs no matter what, my barely naked XP install was like 260 megs :p

17. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Hey, for Windows Vista, what about our old existing games???? Can we still play Warcraft 3, dawn Of War, Winter Assault etc. with it? Assume like my scanner, my printer and my mobo and graphic card driver, can I just install using the existing CD or do I need to take the trouble to go search for those on the web and download it???

For those of you who had used its beta version, can you install the drivers for it using Drivers for Windows XP?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  18. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Drivers? Most likely no. Most manufacturers have already released some sort of Vista drivers by now.

Games, maybe.

19. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

What about scanners, example, scanners bought on Nov 2005, Printers bought on early 2005 etc. Also, what about games which was released early 2006 and about to be released? Such as THQ's Dawn of War, Winter Assault etc?

Personally, do you recommend for switching to Windows Vista? Also, personal opinion, with my comp spec as displayed below my signature, is it possible to have a smooth flow of use using Vista?

Thank you.

20. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It doesn't matter how old your products are. If the manufacturers released drivers for old products, you are in luck. That's why I checked my hardware compatibility when I tried Windows 2000 from Windows 98.

Personally? Try it yourself. Only YOU can answer that question. :mrgreen: