Windows Vista worth it?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by 1031982, Apr 27, 2007.

1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Ok, here is goes, I want to know from any Vista users if they think it's worth it to upgrade from Windows XP. Not with my system, but in general. I understand the differences between the versions of Vista, so I don't need an overview of that fortunately.
    The reason I want to know and am asking here is because I know soon family will be getting a new PC, and eventually I will be building a new PC as well, and would like to know how to go about it. Plus, people here from what I have found are more honest in there opinion, and have more hands on experience to go from, compared to a lot of people who talk based off reviews. :thumb: I have trust here! I know I don't come here often, but when I run into a problem, I come here first if I can't figure it out myself!

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Nah, you come here often enough. Not many has more than 1000+ posts. :D

Well, personally, I don't think it's worth it, not now anyway. There are drivers issues, and too demanding for average PCs.

3. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Really, I would have expected a lot more people to have over 1000 posts, oh well. I know some main people to look out for, and they are usually the ones who I see giving good advise.

Well, for me I would build, for the family, they would buy something prebuilt. They don't do much, but ZoneAlarms pop-up's confused them.

4. figueroa

figueroa Newbie

I think a good rule of thumb to follow when considering upgrading to any new MS OS is wait until the first service pack is out.

5. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

vista confuses me :S

6. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Never use b4 yet.. got driver issue.. ok this is one of the main problem then..:evil:

7. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

If you're into eye candy, yeah go for it..personally dont go for it yet

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Nothing wrong with eye candy. :mrgreen:

Its a mixed package to me. i like some of the things yet hate others.

One of the things is that I need some time to get used to both Vista and Office 2007. LOL! I'm like looking around for things. HMM! Where is this where is that?

But I like it. SP1 should be out later this year.

9. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i'm using both of them, so far no problem yet. :) just that IE 7 doesnt seem to be stable :p

10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I'm using IE7 on XP, seems to be stable so far, for a couple of months already but not sure about it in Vista though coz I just do normal testing on it.

Vista is quite good imho. But if possible, don't go for it yet. Wait until the drivers are stable first, and make sure your mobo and external devices like printers, etc. have all the drivers for Vista. Look around the net for complaints on your mobo and Vista drivers. :D

I just finished building a system and chose to install XP instead. But I've reserved an 80GB partition for Vista.

Been testing Vista for 1/2 year now. A few bugs here and there, overall, it seems to be ok.

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea, I've used IE7 on XP and Vista. No probs at all. :|

12. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

problems i've encountered so far..

display problem right after installing vista ...
    my screen blackouted...

other problems i've encountered

IE 7 - tab won't load the page
    IE 7 - suddenly new window popups non stop
    "Computer" loads search window ( blank window with no my computer icons )

13. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I found the IE7 takes a lot longer to load then IE6. But I barely use it! I have the FireFox add-in/extension to use the IE engine, but if I am going to run Windows update, or the Creative Labs software update, or anything like those (Like PC Pitstop) I would rather use the software that it was designed for.
    I don't like how if you change the security settings, knowing that you are safe and to access a web page it keeps alerting you about how IE is unsecured, and a hacker could gain access to the PC through IE. ECT.

14. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

So far using IE7 on XP just one problem i facing....It close all the IE by itself without any error show also :wall:

But it happen only twice in few months time

15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hmm... haven't come across those problems before. Maybe because I'm using Maxthon? :think:

16. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

That Vista Ultimate drinks lotsa RAM so you better prepare for at least 4GB RAM for 2GB RAM games. (It took 2GB for the operating system... whoa...) :shock:

My advise is to stick to XP and wait for some fixes and service packs to be released for Vista. :D

17. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think it takes less than 800MB for OS alone.

18. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

It drinks RAM for breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner and supper. :faint:

19. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

I have tried on those basic ones and frankly speaking... I fell it is worth it. The graphic interface and the security is superb! That is only the basic part of it.... What more can we get for ultimate....... Well, great Vista!

20. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

no point buying 4gb since the shitty OS cant address them all unless you go 64-bit
    3GB is good enough.