Wireless adapter - USB or PCI ?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by belikethat, May 28, 2010.

1. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

Wireless adapter - USB or PCI ?

Using a desktop, still have spare PCI slot

have asked around n it seems that slight majority prefer USB for it`s portability.

Any comments for USB or PCI :nuts:

2. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Have used and still use several PCI 80211g cards without a problem, but all in desktop boxes so, no need for portability. The PCI antennas are small and out of the way in the back of the case plus, it keeps the USB ports free. I also run various bandwidth hungry USB 2.0 devices such as cameras on one machine (ASUS p5q) and depending on the number of USB controllers I have run intio bandwidth availability problems, sot the USB would nopt be a good solution in this partiular case. :arp:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I was using Linksys USB wireless adapter, slightly less stable than notebook connection, but it's much easier than installing a PCI card.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If you are going to install and forget, then a PCI card works as well as the USB. Probably better if you don't have enough USB ports as it is, or don't have enough space behind your case for a long USB adaptor.

If either are not a factor, then I would just buy whatever is cheaper, or easier to install, depending on your preference.

5. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

just got a PCI adapter. happy with it :p

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Good for you! :thumb:

7. hieoer

hieoer Newbie

I got both and my experience with both types are...USB types are of course can be easily remove and transfer from one computer to another but that’s about it. If you intend to do use it permanently then PCI is the better option. Signal is definitely stronger on the PCI card.