Wolfdale overclocking thread!

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Max_87, May 3, 2008.

1. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Just got my E8400 yesterday :mrgreen: VID is 0.9250v, this is so far the lowest I've seen myself :haha:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Just finished testing 4GHz @ 1.24v :thumb: My E6850 can't even do this with over 1.65v :haha:
    [​IMG]

Now testing 4.1GHz @ 1.27v :mrgreen: Hopefully my ram can handle the speed.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Damn!!! I want one!!!:drool: :drool: :drool:

What does it score at super pi 1 meg @ that speed?

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Not sure, I haven't tested Super PI yet, but I think should be around 11-12 seconds.

1.27v isn't enough, so I bumped the voltage up just a tiny bit. Now testing 4.1GHz @ 1.28v, so far so good :mrgreen:
    [​IMG]

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

does your mobo have loadline calibration?

On mine, if loadline calibration is disabled, I need 1.275. otherwise 1.25v is enough to hit 4.05.

that's max my system can go :( RAM is limiting me

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Try getting the latest CPUZ. Should detect the correct voltage...

6. Chai

FAPFAPFAP!!!

Attached Files:

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Hm... I downloaded the latest version of CPU-Z, it shows slightly lower voltage, around 0.01-0.02v lower.

Priming at 4.2GHz @ 1.32v at the moment :thumb: FAPFAPFAP!
    [​IMG]

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I don't think so. I did what Chai said, the latest version of CPU-Z is giving me ~1.23v at 4GHz while the older version shows 1.24v.

Seems like my ram is doing fine at 467MHz.

9. Digerati

Digerati Newbie

I got mine to 4.0 GHz at @ 1.35 V, but I can't find the screenies I took back then. Right now, I'm at 3.6 GHz no voltage increase.

10. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Seems like the previous 4.1GHz @ 1.27v test is limited by my NB/RAM, I couldn't get it to prime stable even at 1.29v, but now my E8400 doing fine at 4.2GHz with 1.32v. I had bumped my MCH and RAM voltage up a notch when I started testing 4.2GHz.

11. Chai

I think NB should be fine until 500MHz. RAM should be the limitation.

12. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Whaaa!!!:shock: You got one too?:faint:

13. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

7 hours and still going! :thumb:
    [​IMG]

FAPFAPFAP!

If that's the case, I won't be able to push much further already. My ram voltage is already around 2.275v, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to run more than that for DDR2. I don't really have much experience with DDR2 overclocking :haha:

14. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

4.2GHz done! :thumb:

[​IMG]

15. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Dang! Looks like the new E8400 is a real gem!! Great buy! :thumb: :thumb:

16. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. 4.2 GHz!! Congrats!! :beer: :beer:

17. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Cool stuff and nice O/Cing Max :thumb:

18. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Thanks! :mrgreen:

I was playing around at 4.4GHz, but the temperature was crazy, 84C under load according to core temp and it seems like my poor ram was crapping out @ 489MHz :haha:

19. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

IMO, 2.275 is certainly very high. best is to keep it below 2.1v. Im not comfortable with anything above 2.2v but that's personal preference.

I've tested several hyperX modules that are rated at 2.3-2.35v.
    they just got too hot to be reliable for 24/7 usage, even with a small stock P4 fan on them. superPI failed after 10-15mins.
    I also have a pair of Adata extreme edition that failed to work after 6 months. 2.2v, 1000Mhz rating. they must have cooked by the voltage.
    but then again, RAM is cheap nowadays. you can probably grab a pair for "backup"

most asus and gigabyte P35, X38/X48 boards should have no trouble running a dual core at >500fsb. in fact for a dual core you don't really need to increase the chipset voltage unless you are running like >= 4gb configuration. for quad core it's a different story though.

20. Chai

I think I will settle down at 4.1GHz, with 1.25V, RAM running at just 1.9V! This is a very fast and cool running PC! I love this processor, but I wish the RAM could do better than 455MHz...