Wolfdale overclocking thread!

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Max_87, May 3, 2008.

1. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

MSI P35 board is a crappy board to start with.

P35 to X48 to NV780 series, any of these boards with MSI on it is A PIECE OF SHlT! The BIOS supports P-M-S, you can't get rid of it until MSI get rid of its engineers.

retail board that comes loaded with beta BIOS should be avoided at all cost. unfortunately, that's how MSI want to do it.
    I've never come across board/BIOS that has given me such shitload of headache, but MSI consistently did it in the past 12 months! a true champion!

their graphics product is good, but their board definitely can't make it. they need to fire somebody in the designing/engineering team.

change your board.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  2. iraklisvel

iraklisvel Newbie

With 1.24 vCore I reached 3.75 Stable.
    I do not know about the Beta BIOS.
    I Update mine when something comes out.
    What is P-M-S-?
    I am not intending to change it, of course.
    For now, I am totally happy with it.
    Not everyone wants to give out 250E to reach 4Ghz on air with the E8400, since the MSI P35 Platinum costs 110E and does the same job. With this money the best offer is this. Or you can settle with a P5K as everyone else does.

3. coolice

coolice Newbie

bought some dryice yesterday for some experiment
    this is just with first 2kg of dice :D
    Maxfsb 610FSB
    //http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/5625/610fsbdie3110em6.png

291K AQ3
    //http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/2435/291040yl3.png
    this speed is capable to pass 3dmark06 cpu test ;)

my highest ever speed with dice,limited by fsb to go higher clock speed
    //http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/529/610x9e3110spi1m8469s1p1ad2.png

//http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=364962

4. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

guys how high can you go with under voltaging ??
    here is my it is not max oc with that voltage
    but it works great on 1.088v
    [​IMG]

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Not exactly the same processor, but I could run at 3.8GHz at stock voltage.

6. generalRage1982hrv

well it is a same cpu but with locked multiplier
    wolfdale core and it can get 4Ghz with 1.22V
    but only problem is my ddr speed (ocd can handle over 950 but it dose heat tooo much)
    i have geted 4 but it fails on prime

one question what ddr would be best for me (1000Mhz) ?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  7. Chai

There's always binning, that's why the lower end is harder to hit higher speed.

8. generalRage1982hrv

i never had problems pushing low end celeron and new celeron(core duo core) push to +100% with air or water cooling
    but this memory can work on 1000Mhz but it overheats too much
    but to make new proper cooling for it is a waste of time
    easyest way is to get new ddr modules at atlest 1000Mhz
    so can you recomend me brand that have preaty strong chips
    able to handle high oc (1.8v default)

9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

A 100% overclock with celeron vs E8200 has a big difference though. Celerons have low clock speed/FSB and it isn't really hard to achieve 100% overclock.

Your best bet are those modules with Micron D9 chips, these overclock best as far as I know. You will need to do some research to find out which module has it.

10. generalRage1982hrv

thanks for info
    it is easy to clock cpu that have less cache (maybe because of higher cache cpu heats much more)
    know that

what firm makes modules with micron chips
    i dont know all ddr modules

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  11. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

1 person likes this.
  12. generalRage1982hrv

13. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

Would sugess you patriot ;) Really kick ass products and long lifespan ;)

14. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

i like the new aeneon memory.

high speed, stock voltage. perfecto.
    only they (qimonda), and micron can produce this kind of product. module house can't do that.

15. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Hmm, Aeneon only makes value ram right?Does that mean if using the ram for ocing it would b quite decent?:D

16. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Seems like I'm late for the E8400 OC party. I'll be hopefully getting my E8400 by today/tomorrow max. The voltages you guys used to get 4GHz+ really puzzles me as I'm seeing others using as high as 1.4xV just to reach the same clock with the E8400. Is this something to do with a good batch then?

17. generalRage1982hrv

unix cpu should push highest voltage whne u just set up fsb
    dont ask me how but how i see on my mbo even with EPU override cpu is adjusting voltake to it self (it could be also something in bios)
    wolfdale how i hear is sensitiv to high voltage
    my cpu is in range from 1.08V to 1.18V(at 450fsb) and highest is 1.22V so i would not recomend you to push high voltages
    one more thing you will sens a holl from 425 to 445 fsb (system will not boot from some strange reason but when you set higher fsb it will work without any problem all setups rund here is on default voltage so no need for extra tuning)

p.s.i had 8500 few days ago and all i can say is that he is not much faster than 8200
    difference in converting mp3,rar is few seconds, only data copy and memory write is higher by 1000 in everest read is only 500

p.s.2. one more thing i have geted OCZ 2x2Gb 1066Mhz Reaper :mrgreen: it goes like hell (related to my last post)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  18. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

I was considering Reaper modules myself but it would I think it would have clearance issues with a hyper 212 configured to exhaust out the back.
    I'm looking to try 9x400=3600GHz and later 9x450=4.05GHz with with the least possible stable voltage. Course I'll be running at stock speed until my hyper212 arrives, I'm not going to OC on stock cooler :D...

19. Chai

I'm using water cooling. Fuzion waterblock with MCR320 radiator. I dropped it to 4.0GHz because my RAM couldn't take it. I think it could do 4.2GHz if it wasn't for my RAM.

20. generalRage1982hrv

well OCZ modules are not that big
    reaper 1200+ is much higher than this one and also much wideer
    anyway there is ocz SLI kit (4gb) thats have small coolers on it (it is also 1066)

about fsb that would be enough for default voltage