Woman drinks so much water she dies

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by marc, Jan 17, 2007.

1. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Source

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

It came out in the Sun today. They said that she drank more than 2L of water. :think:

3. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

I think drinking is not really the cause. But more on the holding it in.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

I personally have tried drinking about 1.5L of water within less than 15 minutes. I felt okay. *touch wood*

4. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

I read about an incident with water intoxication not too long ago.
    It was a teen boy, athlete, who after a competition was to provide a urine sample for a doping test.
    Problem was he'd just taken a leak before the official arrived...

To be able to provide some urine he drank a lot of water, I think it was close to 6 litres in less than an hour, and still couldn't take a leak.
    Then he became very ill and was rushed to the hospital where they managed to save his life.
    The physician made a few remarks:
    - Had the boy mixed the water with juice or soda there wouldn't be a problem in the first place.
    - With so much water in the body any urine sample he could have provided would be useless anyway, because of the dilution...

/Olle

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It was about 8L....

6. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Firing ten employees at the radio station seems a bit over the top to me, at least until the investigation has been finished.

/Olle

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well they are probably being held accountable for the death. Land of liability and all. :(

8. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Holy Crap. 8L of water. That's unimaginable.

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea, I can really drink a lot of water if I need it but not even close to a quarter of that.... o_0

10. zicovsky

zicovsky Newbie

Really bad news.. i feel sorry for their children..

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. That's insane. Close to 8L. :nuts:

12. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

I expect that some, but hardly all, of them will be held accountable by law.
    But that's a judicial process that hasn't even started yet.
    All ten of them can't have had full responsibility for the contest!

What puzzles me is that it seems like neither any person involved with the contest nor any of the listeners realised the dangers of such a contest and moved to call it off before it was too late.

/Olle

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well they didn't mention any legal thing (and neither did I). Over here you can be fired (unless if they have a company procedure) for any reason (good or bad.) Only things you can't be fired is for illegal reasons (racism, etc.) Being fired has nothing to do with any criminal or civil offense (this is a case of negligence.)

14. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Her family should certainly get some compensation.

Not many people know about water intoxication and isn't it a law for companies to ensure the safety outcomes of their competitions. Hmm.

15. cy26

cy26 Newbie

Stupid death. People should be careful when they take part in such type of contests.

16. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

I'm well aware of that. This isn't (primarily) a matter of legalities, but a matter of business and business practices.

My thinking is that firing all of them this fast is an act of poor judge- and/or management.
    Any employer that fire employees for very little reason should get bad reputation for that, and thus also few applicants to replace the gaps.

In my eyes the station manager just made a bad situation worse by not staying cool and wait until they know just what did and didn't happen!

/Olle

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I agree about that. But it all depends on the company policies (or lack of). But this isn't really such a little reason. A death is quite a big act of negligence. Plus it would increase public outcry if they kept those responsible on. There's never a right answer for anything, but I'm sure the management acted in the best interest regardless if it was a good or bad choice.

18. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Feel sorry for this case, i dun think any organization should have this competition any more....

BTW what is the limit of one person can take everyday? Is it no limit unless you dun hold it.. :think:

19. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

I'm no physician, but there's a definite limit to how much liquid that can be controlled by the kidneys.
    Then a person give off water by sweating and when exhaling.
    Aided by diarrhoea one can give off plenty of liquid very fast, and finally it's not that difficult to just vomit after drinking a lot.

(Vomiting was standard procedure during some beer drinking competitions at the university.)

/Olle

20. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Alright, as what we normally know 8 big glass of water perday not sure this is the correct amount or not :think: