Worklog: Project King Kong II, Silverstone TJ07

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by ianho, Mar 5, 2007.

1. ianho

ianho Newbie

Hehehe. That King Kong's been with me for 15 years man.

2. ianho

ianho Newbie

Updates? Here we goooooooooooooooooooo. :lol:

It's just a hardware update though. Nice juicy hardware that's goin into King Kong II.

Went to LYP for sum shopping today. I just cudn resist the need to fill up my motherboard anymore. When I bought that SLi mobo, it was intended for 2X 7900GT. I bought the 7950GX2 instead coz that just came out n was better than 2x 7900GT. So teh mobo was used in single slot mode. I was waiting for the 7950GX2 Quad SLi drivers to mature n then set up Quad SLi. Nvidia never kept their promise to come out with good solid Quad drivers. Again the mobo was left running with just 1 slot.

Finally! I now haf 2x 8800GTX to fill all the PCIe slots n use up all of the available 32 PCIe lanes. Here's the new hardware I bought for King Kong II today.

MSI 8800GTX, Coolermaster GeminII HSF, 2x 120mm UV Vizo fans for the GeminII, n the spare 300W PSU just in case my 2nd 8800GTX needs more power.

[​IMG]

My 2 lovely beauties.

[​IMG]

The new MSI 8800GTX n the bundle it came with. It comes with a nice game too. Heroes of Might n Magic.

[​IMG]

N here's the gigantic CoolerMaster GeminII. Such a loooooooovely sexay heatpipe babe! I just love heatpipes n cudn resist this beauty while I was buying the new MSI 8800GTX. I will get down to testing this baby once i get the case done n all hardware installed. Hoping for really good mobo n CPU temps with it. just look at those sexaaaaaaay heatpipes babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Lovely, absolutely loooooooooooooooooooooooovely.

[​IMG]

Here's King Kong chilling out with his 2 wifes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  3. ianho

ianho Newbie

B4 I start this next update, I wud like to say thanks again to my wonderful, wonderful, fantastic n ever supportive sponsors Silverstone n Inter-Asia Sdn Bhd. They provided me with this fantastic power supply called the Silverstone Olympia 1000W today. I had sum problems powering up my rig with the new 8800GTXs in SLi last night. I then relayed my problems to them in the morning n voila! By 6pm on the same day, I had already received this fantastic Power Supply Unit to fully power up King Kong. I can't thank them enough.

Now, on to the hardware update n pix pix pix.

The PSU comes nicely packed in a big huge box. It's as big as a shoe box. Humongous! Check out the specs on the front of the box. Absolutely fantastic specs. 80Amps 12V single rail. Continuous 1000Watts at 50C! Can u spell F.A.N.T.A.S.T.I.C ? :D With the 12V single rail at 80Amps, we no longer haf to scratch our heads n calculate if each individual rail is enough for the things we're plugging them into. Just plug everything u haf into it without worrying. Now, that's what I call a great PSU.

[​IMG]

The behemoth is out of the box. I've put my standard ATX sized 300W PSU next to it to show u guys just how big this OP1000 is. It comes in a really nice matt black finish for the proper King Kong look too. :thumb:

[​IMG]

Look at the power cords. Take a guess on which 1 belongs to the OP1000? Look at how fat it is. Big giant PSU with big giant wires to make sure u never haf problems. :thumb:

[​IMG]

Not only is the PSU a fantastic PSU, it's even future proofed. Look at all the wires that comes with it. Lotsa molex n SATA plugs. 4x 6pin PCIe for 8800GTX SLi, it also comes with 2x 8pin PCIe plugs in anticipation of the ATi R600 which is supposed to use 6pin n 8pin PCIe plugs on 1 card. It even has 2x 8pin ATX mobo plugs for server mobos. It's all nicely labeled to make sure u dont use the wrong plugs.

[​IMG]

Well, dats it for now. I just spent the last 2 days testing my 8800GTX SLi installation n also to check on the power requirements. Now that I have the OP1000, my power requirement nightmare is solved. It's now time to start finishing up the rig in preparation for the Silverstone LANparty this Sunday, 25th of March. Hopefully I'll haf sum time to make full use of this wonderful PSU. If there is spare time b4 the LANparty, I'll start playing with my BIOS settings again n overclock everything nicely. I had to reset all BIOS settings to default this morning, in order for my rig to run with the 600W PSU I had. Hours of BIOS settings gone just like that. :cry: :cry: :cry: Thanks to this King Kong PSU, I'll be able to overclock everything to the sky again. :thumb:

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

80A on single 12V rail? :faint:

5. ianho

ianho Newbie

Ya man. The OP1000 is absolutely awesome. I'm bz getting the rig ready for the LANparty now. After the party I'll be making full use of this baby. I'll be taking my rig back up to maximum overclocks for the CPU, RAM n both GPUs.

6. A Coolermaster product on a Silverstone sponsored modding project? :shock:

Did Silverstone say anything about that? :shifty:

7. Koradhil

Koradhil Newbie

Awesome, I'm getting the black version of this case sponsored and I'm going to mod it ofcourse.
    I have a question about the BTX though. Originally you have sliding bars at the top and bottom, but it looks like you have left out the top bar when you converted it to BTX.
    Also, how are you going to route the airflow?

Keep it up!

8. ianho

ianho Newbie

@sprankiko I do haf sum freedom to choose parts which I need. :thumb:

@ Koradhil I cud haf made sum custom rails for the top but it serves no purpose. It's nice n solid with just the bottom rail so I left it with just the bottom rail.

9. ianho

ianho Newbie

Sry for the long delay in updates guys. I was really tied up coz of the Silverstone LANparty n I had to really finish up King Kong for the show. Now the event's over, I've finally got time to update the progress. Here we goooooooooooooooo.

This is the brushed aluminum plate I'm using for the custom front ROM plate.

[​IMG]

All marked out n ready for the choppity chop.

[​IMG]

:bruce: :bruce: :bruce: Chop chop chop. Drill drill drill.

[​IMG]

Cutting out the intake mesh area on teh front plate.

[​IMG]

Rough cut for front intake mesh is done.

[​IMG]

Marking out the ROM slot cover.

[​IMG]

more updates coming right up.

10. ianho

ianho Newbie

After the front plate I moved on to the internals. In these pics u can c the ROM intake fan plate n false floor plates.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that I moved on to finish the front intake plate. I cut out the 2x120mm blowholes n mounting holes. Also made sum brackets so I can mount it to the ROM slots.

[​IMG]

Painted the plate silver.

[​IMG]

Fans mounted on the plate for a test fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. ianho

ianho Newbie

Mounted the brackets onto the plate.

[​IMG]

Test fitting the fan plate in the ROM slots.

[​IMG]

After the test fit. I decided that the brackets were just too ugly n I cudn stand the looks of it. Those acrylic brackets just dont look right. So I remade sum new 1's out of aluminum to gif it a true factory look. Here's how the new brackets look like. Much, much better looking now dont u think?

[​IMG]

I then made the same type of brackets for the front intake mesh mounting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The completed front intake mesh n ROM cover plate. Time to mount it to the case.

[​IMG]

12. ianho

ianho Newbie

The hardware thats going in. All cooled by looooovely sexaaaaay heatpipes.

[​IMG]

Now look at these sexy RAMs. So nice n blingy in gold. Ali G pimpin style!

[​IMG]

Not only is it bling bling, it performs really well too. Look at teh specifications of the RAM. This is good stuff. King Kong will b taking them to the OC gym later for sum serious overclocking. :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

[​IMG]

Now it's onto the heatsink install. B4 that I need sum thermal paste. For that, I use Arctic Cooling MX-1. It's really good. Totally non conductive so u dont hafta worry about it shorting out anything if there's overflow. This paste used to b loved by those who bought Arctic cooling heatsinks coz it only came with AC coolers. The performance is fantastic but it wasn't available for sale. They're now available separately so, gogogo get them.

Look at the operational lifespan. 8 years!. I doubt any1 of us is gonna use it for 8 years but it's really good to know it wont degrade over time under serious overclocking usage.

[​IMG]

It's extremely easy to apply too. Just put a blob of it on top n put the HSF on. That's it.

[​IMG]

The heatsink is on. Very nice fit n clearance to surrounding compnents unlike the XP120 I had which was an extremely tight fit. Look at all the space around it in these pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best thing about this HSF is that it cools the entire mobo n it's surroundings too. In this pic u can c how it cools my RAM too. No need to use hideous clip on fan solutions. I like the RAM like that so we can show the bling bling of the lovely RAM without covering it with fans on top like how those clip on things do. I will be needing lotsa cooling on these RAMs as I will b pumping in 2.9Volts into them n OCing them for daily use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After all the hardware was installed. It was time to haf sum fun. So I made these stickers for my 8800GTX darlings. They're made of reflective white vinyl.

[​IMG]

I stuck them on n installed the graphics cards. This is how it looks with the stickers on. NICE. :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: I love those stickers so much.

[​IMG]

That's all the pix I haf right now. I'll be sure to update as soon as I haf edited more pics. Next update will be with the completed case as of the 25th March for the show. There r more things which I havent done yet. All that will be work in progress as I go along. So this Project is by no means complete.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  13. ianho

ianho Newbie

Oh ya. I forgot to show u guys how I sleeved the PSU coz I was rushing n forgot to take pix. I haf sum pix of how I sleeved the PCIe plugs though. As u all know the 8800GTX requires 2x 6 pin PCIe plugs. That means 2 wires per card. I haf 2 cards meaning 4 wires! That'll create a right royal mess of wires especially with my BTX style mod coz the wires r on top n cant be hidden below. Here's what I did.

I combined the 2 top wires into 1 so it's nice n neat. This picture shows the default 4 wires n 4 plugs.

[​IMG]

Here it is after I sleeved 2 into 1.

[​IMG]

While I was sleeving, I also did the SATA wires.

[​IMG]

That's it for now till I edit more pix. :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: Been editing pix all day long. Time for dinner. Confusious say never work on empty stomach. :lol:

14. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Wow...clean and nice. Where did you get the aluminium plate?

15. ianho

ianho Newbie

It's brushed aluminum sheet from my storeroom.

Anyway, sum updates.

Here's the making of the Silverstone Snowflake logo on the side panel.

The panel is masked n marked. All ready for cutting.

[​IMG]

Drill drill drill. I really like this picture. It just reminds me of fireworks exploding with the pattern of the metal flakes n the pattern of the window.

[​IMG]

Here we go with the powaaaaaaaaaaaa tools. Choppity chop with the jigsaw.

[​IMG]

Almost there.................
    [​IMG]

Off goes the panel n we haf a roughcut of the side window.
    [​IMG]

Here's the side window all ready for final detailing work.

[​IMG]

The Silverstone Snowflake window is done. :thumbs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More updates as soon as I sort out the pix.

16. ianho

ianho Newbie

Wokeh. After many hours of sorting out my photo album. Here's more updates. This time it's the workstation for King Kong. I like the case so much now that I wanted it on the table top. As most of u know, I used to haf a glass table. That will definitely break under King Kong's weight. So I tore down my whole workstation. Went to Ikea for sum shopping n came home with lotsa stuff. As I'm a modder n never like to buy ready made stuff, I bought 3 tables n lotsa shelfs n cabinets so I can install n mod them to my liking.

Putting the table together. The shelfs on the wall r new too. I forgot to take sum pix while installing them coz it was really messy work with the cement dust flying everywhere while I was drilling the wall to install the wallmounts for the shelfs.

[​IMG]

2 of the tables being put into position as an L shaped workstation.

[​IMG]

More stuff going back on top as I go along. Monitors all ready for King Kong's presence.

[​IMG]

King Kong has arrived. Time to put him in his new home. This is the 1st time I'm taking King Kong out since the LANparty. So the pix u c of it here r the same as those pix at the Silverstone LANparty.

[​IMG]

King Kong's on the table now. Preliminary positioning coz I still need to do teh cable management for my desktop.

[​IMG]

This is the 3rd table I bought. It's for the other side of my workstation. This is where I do all my designing, drawing, soldering, sleeving. U can c that this table has 5 legs. This is because I added 1 more in the middle to make it stronger. After I put King Kong on top of the tables on the other side, the table started to sag! That's how heavy King Kong n the monitors are. So for this 3rd table I added 1 leg in the middle to avoid the sagging problem when I put heavy rigs on top to work on them. Now all 3 tables haf been modified with the extra legs in the middle. All sagging probs solved. Those cabinets r also new. I use them for keeping all my modding stuff. Spare PSUs, wires, sleeves, lights, etc etc.

[​IMG]

17. ianho

ianho Newbie

Nice bright lights for the table for designing work at night. I need really bright lights to make sure my drawings r totally precise. I've tried drawing my designs without a table light. Let's just say they weren't too accurate. :lol: Coz when the light isn't bright enuf u tend to draw with shadows of the ruler on the paper n it badly affects accuracy. All those designs n sketches I did at night last time had to be thrown away coz they weren't accurate. I can now do my drawing n sketching at night with full accuracy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  18. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

niceee......

19. ianho

ianho Newbie

Here's sum stuff I just did for King Kong. It's a fan intake filter. With the amount of fans I'm using to cool King Kong, lotsa dust is gonna get in if I dont do sumthin bout the intake air.

So I made sum fan filters for the intake fans. Here's what I did.

I bought sum normal plastic fan grills like these.

[​IMG]

Next up, I had to cut sum nice thin sponge pieces to fit.

[​IMG]

The fan grills looked kinda restrictive to me coz it has so many fins. No worries. Here we go with the choppity chop chop again. I trimmed off every alternate fin like this.

[​IMG]

Time to put the sponge between the 2 grills n sandwich them together. I also took the time to clean off the nubs left behind from teh cutting to make the fins look nice n clean without the nubs like the picture above.

[​IMG]

b4 fan filters.

[​IMG]

Voila! With fan filters.

[​IMG]

Here's how it looks like with the fan grills on.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty happy with with how it turned out. A nice cheap mod which only costs a few dollars for nice clean intake air. I'll be making 2 more filters for my lower compartment where the HDD cages too.