World's largest ssd drive

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PowerSlide, Feb 25, 2007.

1. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL!! No way it will be affordable... or worth buying. :mrgreen:

AFAICS, SSD drives will never beat hard drives in price-performance. :think:

But they certainly do have a market, albeit niche, in applications that require very high performance... or shock resistance.

3. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

seagate got the 160gb 2.5" 5400rpm hdd abt a year ago...

$80~115/gb is ridiculous

4. Adrian Wong

Hehe... Indeed. :mrgreen:

5. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

wen this tech mature n more n more company making it sure it will be affordable..now jus sti back n see the prices drop :mrgreen:

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

High performance? What about those 2.5" SAS? :D

7. Adrian Wong

Eh, SAS is just the interface la... The drive is still a hard drive. :mrgreen:

8. Chai

Not really. SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) HDD are not just interface only. They are usually 10k rpm based HDD. Same size as the SSD, but faster.

9. Adrian Wong

Actually, it is just the interface. Yes, the drives are usually 10K RPM, but that doesn't mean they must be 10K RPM drives.

Even so, they cannot beat flash-based drives for start-up time, random access speed, and shock resistance.

10. Chai

I haven't seen SAS drives that's slower than 10k rpm. :p Don't misinterpret what I was trying to say. Yes, SAS is just an interface, but since it's new and replacing parallel SCSI, it also meant that they are all 10k rpm or faster, which is my whole point anyway, current SSDs are still slower than SAS drives.

I think you should know I'm not that dumb to think that SAS as a new and fast interface will make SAS drives faster, right? :p In my first post, I didn't mention the drives, but when I mention the 2.5" SAS, that means I was talking about the HDD performance and the form factor, not the interface. :p

11. Adrian Wong

Of course not, but IMHO, these flash memory or RAM drives have an even more niche market than just performance. If you need something that's absolutely shock-proof, the only way is to use flash memory/RAM.

Besides, even though flash memory drives are much faster at random access, they are very slow at writes. They will also not survive as many writes as hard drives. So, if they are used, it's really not for performance per se.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  12. Chai

Yeah, that I agree.

Even if the performance is up to par with fast HDD, I will still not pay for it. Number of writes, high price. I mean, we have been using HDD for such a long time, I don't have much complains about the reliability, or needing shock resistance. Come on, we need 15k rpm HDD!!!

13. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. Of course, we don't really need a lot of shock resistance.

But people in the military or aerospace industry will. Imagine if a hard drive crashes in mid-flight... or when the rover lands on Mars. :mrgreen:

14. Chai

But that doesn't mean SSDs are flawless. Even high end media cards like Sandisk Extreme 3 may fail without warning. SSDs are far from bulletproof.

15. Adrian Wong

Of course. But they can definitely handle more shock than hard drives. Also, they are far easier to harden (against radiation) than hard drives.